Women power at Parade and Berlin Summit
WOMEN POWER AT REPUBLIC DAY PARADE
What’s in news?
Tania Shergill, an officer with the Army’s Corps of Signals will be the first woman parade adjutant for the Republic Day Parade.
- India’s Republic Day parade, one of the largest parades in the world marches from Rashtrapati Bhawan along Rajpath until India Gate.
- This year the parade has certain events to express the woman power in the defence sector.
- In 2020 republic day parade, Tania Shergil becomes the first woman officer to lead all- men contingent.
- The Contingent was commissioned in March 2017 from Officer Training Academy, Chennai.
First Women CRPF Bikers:
- All women biker contingent of the Central Reserve Police Force will make their debut showcasing daredevil stunts at the Republic Day parade.
- The team consists of 65 women CRPF personnel.
- The Contingent is to be commanded by inspector of Rapid Action Force.
BERLIN SUMMIT 2020
What’s in news?
The Berlin Summit 2020 was hosted.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel hosted a summit at Berlin bringing together backers of the main warring factions in Libya as the latest of many diplomatic attempts aimed at pushing Libya on a path to peace.
- Aim: To restart talks around a political solution to what has become a proxy war with powerful international backers.
- The summit was called after a tentative truce brokered by Russia and Turkey a week ago collapsed.
- World leaders committed to ending all foreign meddling in Libya’s war and to uphold a weapons embargo as part of a broader plan to end the spiralling conflict.
- The presidents of Russia, Turkey and France were among global chiefs signing up to the plan to stop interfering in the war. This includes through weapons, troops or financing.
- But the talks failed to deliver serious dialogue between the warring parties — strongman Khalifa Haftar and the head of Tripoli’s UN-recognised government Fayez al-Sarraj. It also failed to get both sides to sign up to a permanent truce.
Links to note: