What’s in news?
A virtual museum is in the offing in the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Kashi to enable people for online viewing of the city’s antiquities and art objects.
- The virtual museum is likely to come up at the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) protected Man Mahal observatory, a beautiful example of Mughal-Rajput example of Mughal-Rajput architecture with stone balconied windows and painted ceiling on the bank of Ganga.
- The state-of-the-art virtual museum, offering a 3D view of the world-famous Kashi ghats, lanes, classical music and heritage, is the first of its kind in Eastern UP.
- This was developed by the National Council of Science Museums (NCSM) under the supervision of union ministry of culture, it also boasts of half-a-dozen high-tech LEDs including one in crescent shape.
- During his visit to the city on November 19, the union minis minister of state for Tourism and Culture (independent charge) Mahesh Sharma had also visited the Man Mahal observatory and asked to start a virtual museum to showcase the monuments and culture of the city.
- During their two-day stay they will visit the archaeological sites and museum at Sarnath and Man Mahal observatory at Ganga ghat to take stock of the condition and facilities.
- The NCSM is said to have roped in the best of photographers for clicking pictures of Kashi’s iconic locations and professionals to create high definition pictures.
- The virtual tour also introduces visitors to the city’s great musicians including the tabla maestro Pt Kishan Maharaj, Padma Vibhushan Thumari queen, the late Girija Devi and Bharat Ratna shehnai maestro, the late Bismillah Khan.
- It also takes one through the life and times of Munshi Premchand among other literary giants.
- A museum is defined by the International Council of Museums (ICOM) as a ‘non-profit, permanent institution in the service of society and its development, open to the public, which acquires, conserves, researches, communicates and exhibits the tangible and intangible heritage of humanity and its environment for the purposes of education, study and enjoyment’.
- A virtual museum (VM) is a digital entity that draws on the characteristics of a museum, in order to complement, enhance, or augment the museum through personalization, interactivity, user experience and richness of content.
International Council of Museums:
- Established at 1946.
- The International Council of Museums (ICOM) is a non-governmental organisation maintaining formal relations with UNESCO and having a consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council.
- ICOM also partners with entities such as the World Intellectual Property Organization, INTERPOL and the World Customs Organization in order to carry out its international public service missions, which include fighting illicit traffic in cultural goods and promoting risk management and emergency preparedness to protect world cultural heritage in the event of natural or man-made disasters.
- Members of the ICOM get the ICOM membership card, which provides free entry, or entry at a reduced rate, to many museums all over the world.