Urea supply and Youth Summit
ENSURING SUPPLY OF UREA
what’s in news?
With shortage of urea causing distress among its farmers, Telangana government directed authorities to deploy special trains and trucks to make one lakh tonne urea available in the next three to four days.
- After central government decided to supply fertilisers to farmers under Direct benefit Transfer method, traders and private companies have not procured fertilisers in large quantities.
- A farmer died in a queue while waiting for urea in Siddipet district and protests erupted by farmers in various parts of the state over fertilizer shortage.
- As many as 25 special goods trains and 3,000 trucks will be operated to transport urea from Andhra Pradesh ports to various places across Telangana.
Fertilizer is any organic or inorganic substance, natural or artificial in nature supplying one or more of the chemical elements/nutrients required for plant growth.
- Nitrogenous: Essential Component Is Nitrogen (N). Ex Urea, Ammonium Nitrate, Ammonium Sulphate
- Potassic: Ex Potassium Nitrate, Chile Saltpetre
- Phosphatic: Ex Super Phosphate, Triple Phosphate
Neem Coated Urea:
- Spraying urea with neem oil. It has a few benefits (Agronomic and Environmental benefits).
- Neem has proven nitrification inhibition properties. This way it slows down the process of nitrogen release from urea (by about 10 to 15 per cent). Thus it reduces the consumption of the fertilizer
- Enhance the yield
- Decrease urea requirement. Hence, save Money
Fertilizer Policy/Government Interventions:
- Objectives: Major focus of the fertilizer policy has been on primary (macro) nutrients.
- Since independence, Government of India (GoI) has been regulating sale, price and quality of fertilizers.GoI has declared fertilizers as an essential commodity. GoI issued the Fertilizer Control Order (FCO) under the Essential Commodities Act, 1957.No subsidy was paid on Fertilizers till 1977 except Potash for which subsidy was paid only for a year in 1977.
- Retention pricing scheme (RPS):Introduced for nitrogenous fertilizers in 1977. Later, it was extended to phosphatic and potasssic fertilizers (Including Imported fertilizers). In this, the difference between retention price (cost of production as assessed by the government plus 12% post-tax return on net worth) and the statutorily notified sale price was paid as subsidy to each manufacturing unit. This was the beginning of “Product-based subsidy” regime.
NATIONAL YOUTH SUMMIT
what’s in news?
President of India inaugurated the National Youth Summit in New Delhi organised by the Youth Awakening Mission, a youth wing of Paavan Chintan Dhara Charitable Trust, Ghaziabad.
- Youth Awakening Mission’s (YAM) objective is to instil confidence, will power, knowledge, and develop skills, logic, values, leadership qualities and patriotism among the youth.
- Under this project, youth between the ages of 18-40 years are given training.
- The youth is also given a duty under the Rishikulshala project whose slogan is — “Educate India Rebuild Nation”.
- The project also allows youth to teach the children from the marginalised section of the society so that they can become a part of mainstream society.
Links to note: