SAANSAD ADARSH GRAM YOJANA (SAGY)
Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana is a rural development programme broadly focusing upon the development in the villages which includes social development, cultural development and spread motivation among the people on social mobilization of the village community.
The distinct feature of this Yojana is that it is (a) demand driven (b) inspired by society (c) based on people’s participation.
- The development of model villages, called Adarsh Grams, through the implementation of existing schemes, and certain new initiatives to be designed for the local context, which may vary from village to village.
- Creating models of local development which can be replicated in other villages.
Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana was initiated to bring the member of parliament of all the political parties under the same umbrella while taking the responsibility of developing physical and institutional infrastructure in villages and turn them into model villages.
- Under this scheme, each member of parliament needs to choose one village each from the constituency that they represent, except their own village or their in-laws village and fix parameters and make it a model village by 2019.
Thereafter, they can take on two or three more villages and do the same by the time the next general elections come along in 2019, and thereafter, set themselves ten-year-long village or rural improvement projects. Villages will be offered smart schools, universal access to basic health facilities and Pucca housing to homeless villagers.
No new funds are allocated to this Yojana and funds may be raised through:
Funds from existing schemes, such as the Indira Awas Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana, Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, and Backward Regions Grant Fund, etc.,
- The Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS),
- The gram panchayat’s own revenue,
- Central and State Finance Commission Grants, and
- Corporate Social Responsibility funds.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF KEY FUNCTIONARIES
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
||Member of Parliament
||· Identify the Adarsh Gram
· Facilitate the planning process
· Mobilise additional funds
· Monitor the scheme
||Two committees, headed by the Minister of Rural Development, and Secretary, Rural Development, respectively.*
||· Monitor the process of identification and planning
· Review the implementation of the scheme
· Identify bottlenecks in the scheme
· Issue operational guidelines
· Indicate specific resource support which each Ministry can provide
||A committee headed by the Chief Secretary
||· Supplement central guidelines for the scheme
· Review Village Development Plans
· Review implementation
· Outline monitoring mechanisms
· Design a grievance redressal mechanism for the scheme
||· Conduct the baseline survey
· Facilitate the preparation of the Village Development Plan
· Converge relevant schemes
· Ensure grievance redressal
· Monthly progress review of the scheme
||Gram Panchayat and functionaries of schemes (at various levels)
||· Implement of the scheme
· Identify common needs of the village
· Leverage resources from various programmes
· Ensure participation in the scheme
In order to convert the identified village into an Adarsh Gram through the specified activities, the following are the possible strategies:
- Entry point activities to energize and mobilize the community towards positive common action
- Participatory planning exercise for identifying peoples’ needs and priorities in an integrated manner
- Converging resources from Central Sector and Centrally Sponsored Schemes and also other State schemes to the extent possible.
- Repairing and renovating existing infrastructure to the extent possible.
- Strengthening the Gram Panchayats and peoples’ institutions within them
- Promoting transparency and accountability
List of villages adopted by MPs, State wise can be viewed here
LIST OF A FEW IMPORTANT ADOPTIONS :
Under the scheme, Narendra Modi has adopted Jayapur village his constituency Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh.
- Sonia Gandhi adopted Udwa village in her constituency Rae Bareli in Uttar Pradesh.
- Rahul Gandhi adopted Deeh village in his constituency Amethi in Uttar Pradesh.
- K. Singh adopted Mirpur Hindu in his constituency Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh.
- Ahmed Patel adopted Vandari village in Rajpipada, Gujarat.
- Sachin Tendulkar adopted Puttamraju vari Kandriga(P.R.Kandriga) a village near Gudur in Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh. And Donja village in Osmanabad district of Marathwada, Maharastra.
- Kamalnath adopted Bisapur kalan village in chhindwara district, Madhya pradesh.
Under the Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) framework, the development of Gram Panchayats is envisaged through convergence and implementation of existing Government Schemes and Programmes under the administrative control of respective Ministries/ Departments without allocating additional funds.
The Gram Panchayats adopted under SAGY through a participatory process prepare Village Development Plans (VDP) containing prioritised time-bound activities to achieve holistic progress of the village.
- So far, 1151 Gram Panchayats have uploaded their Village Development Plans (VDP) on the SAGY website (http://saanjhi.gov.in/).
Many Gram Panchayats have also made efforts in the area of ensuring social and financial security in their respective Gram Panchayats by enrolling every eligible individual to Government programmes like Jan Dhan Yojana, Atal Pension Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana, Rashtriya Swasthya BimaYojna, Widow Pension, Old Age Pension.
Also, the following initiatives have been inter alia taken for better implementation of the Scheme:
- Ministry has published a document named ‘SAHYOG’ as an indicative guidance document with the essential information on the existing social security schemes collated from respective Ministries to enrich the knowledge of villagers and village level functionaries to achieve 100% enrollment into the social/ financial Security Schemes in SAGY Gram Panchayats.
- The Ministry of Rural Development has coordinated with other Central Ministries/ Departments for ensuring provision of four key basic services viz. power, drinking water, roads and education in all SAGY Gram Panchayats.