UPSC: UNITED NATIONS DAY 2018 OBSERVED
The United Nations Day was observed across the world on October 24, 2018, marking the 73rd anniversary of the UN Charter’s entry into force.
The Day was observed with an aim to celebrate everything that the UN represents and has achieved since its establishment in 1945. On this occasion, all the member states of the United Nations contributed finances to its operation to help further its goals.
2018 UN Day Concert
- The 2018 UN Day Concert was held in the General Assembly Hall at United Nations Headquarters in New York.
- The Concert was sponsored by thePermanent Mission of India to the United Nations.
- The theme of 2018 UN concert was “Traditions of Peace and Non-violence”.
- It featured Sarod maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan accompanied by his sons Amaan Ali Bangash and Ayaan Ali Bangash, and the Refugee Orchestra Project conducted by Lidiya Yankovskaya.
When was the Day proclaimed?
- United Nations Day is part of United Nations Week, which runs from 20 to 26 October.
- In 1948, the United Nations General Assembly declared 24 October, the anniversary of the Charter of the United Nations, as the United Nations Day.
- In 1971, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a further resolution (United Nations Resolution 2782) declaring that United Nations Day shall be an international holiday and recommended that it should be observed as a public holiday by all United Nations member states.
Charter of the United Nations
- The UN Charter of 1945 is the foundational treaty of the United Nations.
- It was signed at the San Francisco War Memorial and Performing Arts Center in San Francisco, United States, on 26 June 1945, by 50 of the 51 original member countries.
- It entered into force on 24 October 1945, after being ratified by the original five permanent members of the Security Council.
- As a charter, it is a constituent treaty, and all members are bound by its articles.
- Furthermore, Article 103 of the Charter states that obligations to the United Nations prevail over all other treaty obligations.
: Function create_function() is deprecated in /var/www/wp-content/themes/univero/template-parts/author-bio.php
on line 3