TECH FOR TRIBALS PROGRAM
What’s in news?
A transformational program “Tech For Tribals” was launched in the favour of Tribal Entrepreneurs.
- Launched by: The program was launched by TRIFED and IIT-Kanpur. The other partners were IIT-Roorkee, IIM Indore, Kalinga Institute of Social Science, Bhubaneshwar and SRIJAN, Jaipur in the first phase of organising tribal entrepreneurship and skill development program.
- Supported by: The TRIFED’s initiative was supported by the Ministry of MSME.
- Aim: The program is aimed at capacity building and imparting entrepreneurship skills to tribal forest produce gatherers enrolled under the Pradhan Mantri VanDhan Yojana (PMVDY).
- Training duration: The trainees will undergo a 30 days program over six weeks comprising 120 sessions.
- Five Year strategy: By drafting a five Year strategy for 10X impact in Tribal development i.e. it develop over three lakhs tribals.
- Convergence: The scheme converges various schemes under key Ministries of Government of India, leading national Institutions, Social sector and most of all Industry leaders, and work towards this singular goal of promoting tribal produces in a big way.
- VDVK: TRIFED establishes 1,200 “Van Dhan Vikas Kendra (VDVK)”, across 28 States engaging 3.6 Lakhs Tribal Forest Produce gatherers.
- One typical VDVK comprises of 15 Self Help Groups, each consisting of 20 Tribal gatherers.
- The Partners will develop course contents relevant to Entrepreneurship in Value Addition and Processing of Forest Produces.
Data to know:
- Abbreviated as: The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India.
- Established in: It was established in 1987.
- Ministry in Responsible: It comes under the administrative control of Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- Objective: TRIFED has been set up to provide fair price to the Minor Forest Produce (MFP) made by the tribal communities of the country.
Links to note: