Transforming India Awards
WOMEN TRANSFORMING INDIA AWARDS
What’s in news?
NITI Aayog organized the Fourth Edition of the Women Transforming India Awards.
- WTI Awards are NITI Aayog’s initiative to highlight the commendable and ground-breaking endeavours of India’s women leaders and changemakers.
- Since 2018, the Awards have been hosted under the aegis of NITI Aayog’s Women Entrepreneurship Platform with a special focus on entrepreneurship.
- Launched on International Women’s Day, two years ago, the Women Entrepreneurship Platform has become a forum dedicated to educating, enabling and empowering women entrepreneurs.
- The WTI Awards 2019 received over 2,300 applications of which the Top 30 were shortlisted through a three-stage evaluation process consisting of independent assessment and Jury and Super Jury Rounds.
International Women’s Day:
- International Women’s Day (March 8) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.
- The theme for this year Women’s Day is – “Think Equal, Build Smart, Innovate for Change”, it puts innovation by women and girls, for women and girls, at the heart of efforts to achieve gender equality.
- International Women’s Day (IWD) has occurred for well over a century, with the first IWD gathering in 1911 supported by over a million people in Austria, Denmark, Germany and Switzerland.
- Prior to this the Socialist Party of America, United Kingdom’s Suffragists and Suffragettes, and further groups campaigned for women’s equality.
Links to note: