NEW HEALTH WARNINGS ON TOBACCO PRODUCTS PACKS
What’s in news?
The Union ministry of health and family welfare notified new sets of specified health warnings for all tobacco product packs that will be applicable from September 1, 2019.
- The ministry in April, 2018, had made amendments to the Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products (Packaging and Labelling) Rules, 2008, that was called “Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products (Packaging and Labelling) Second Amendment Rules, 2018”.
- The amended Rules were applicable with effect from September 1, 2018.
- The two images were to be printed on the pack in a said format of all tobacco products manufactured or imported, and the image would be rotated by a new set of images after the completion of twelve months from the date of commencement of first image.
- The text messages that will be printed on the packs are – tobacco causes painful death.
- There shall be one common specified health warning for both smoking and smokeless forms of tobacco products
- Telephone Quit-line number – 1800-11-2356 is also the part of the health warning.
- The toll-free Tobacco Quit-line Service provides counselling and strategies for quitting tobacco use.
As per the recent second round of Global Adult Tobacco Survey [GATS -2, 2016-17] conducted in the age group 15 years and above, 61.9% of current cigarette smokers, 53.8% of current bidi smokers and 46.2% of current smokeless tobacco users thought about quitting because of warning label on packets of cigarette, bidi and smokeless tobacco.
- Smoking or tobacco use shortens life span by up to 10 years.
- 7 Crores (28.6%) Tobacco Users among persons aged 15 + in India
- About 3500 deaths daily in India are attributable to tobacco use
- Smoking in public places is prohibited and is a punishable offence.
- Direct/Indirect advertisements of tobacco products including sponsorship and promotion are prohibited and is a punishable offence.
- Sale of tobacco products to and by minors (less than 18 years of age) is prohibited and is a punishable offence.
- Sale of tobacco products within 100 yards of Educational Institutions is prohibited and is a punishable offence.
- It is mandatory to display the pictorial warnings on tobacco products packages.
Links to note: