THAL SENA BHAWAN, A NEW ARMY BUILDING
What’s in news?
The foundation stone for the new Army Headquarters’ new building in Delhi Cantonment was laid.
- Laid by: The foundation stone for the new Army Headquarters was laid down by the Shri Rajnath Singh, the Defence Minister.
- Name of the building: The new building was named as ‘Thal Sena Bhawan’, the multi-storeyed complex is designed “like a rising sun” and it will be spread over nearly 39 acres.
- Under one roof: All the departments of the Army as well as the Department of Military Affairs will come under one roof and collectively contribute towards national security, besides effectively dealing with defence-related issues.
- Representation: The new building will represent the unsung heroes of the armed forces who have sacrificed their lives for the country.
- What the building is for? The new department of military affairs headed by the chief of defence staff (CDS) will be housed in this new building.
- Green building: The multi-storey building will be adopted with ‘Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA)’ The building will comply to ‘prestigious norms’ and have a GRIHA-5 rating.
- Nodal agency: The nodal agency for the ambitious redevelopment project is the “Ministry of Housing and Poverty Alleviation”.
- Prayers offered: The ceremony began with inter-faith prayers as four religious’ teachers, which represents the four main religions of India.
- Time planned: The time planned for the new building to come up is about three – four years – it is expected to generate a minimum of 2 lakh hours of skilled and unskilled work.
- Total cost: The cost planned for the construction is about 700 cr.
- Working officials: A total of more than 1700 officials (both military & civilian) and 1,300 sub staffwill be accommodated in the new building.
Links to note: