TERROR MONITORING GROUP (TMG)
What’s in news?
- The home ministry has constituted a multi-disciplinary Terror Monitoring Group (TMG) to ensure synergised and concerted action against terror financing and other terror-related activities in Jammu & Kashmir.
- The group will meet on a weekly basis and submit its action taken report regularly.
Terror Monitoring Group (TMG):
- The following are the Composition of TMG:
- Additional DGP, CID, in J&K police, who would also be its chairman,
- IGP in J&K police,
- Additional director of Intelligence Bureau in J&K and
- Representatives of CBI, NIA, ED, CBDT and CBIC.
- Following are the Functions of TMG:
- The body will take coordinated action in all registered cases relating to terror and terror financing and bring them to logical conclusion.
- It will identify key persons including leaders of organisations involved in supporting terrorism in any form and take concerted action against them.
- The TMG will investigate the networks of various channels used to fund terror and terror-related activities and take coordinated action to stop the flow of such funds.
- The group will also take action against hardcore sympathisers amongst government employees including teachers who provide covert or overt support to terror-related activities in J&K.
Background for the formation of TMG:
- According to an estimate of the NIA, via the various Charity Organisations, Pakistan-based terror groups financing terrorism in Jammu and Kashmir. These outfits collect donations from the people in Pakistan and then pass on the money to finance terrorism in Kashmir through their overground workers. The groups collect millions of dollars in donations through crowd funding in the name of social service.