SWACHH SURVEKSHAN 2020
What’s in news?
An app was launched that will allow users to have waste solid, wet or construction and demolition (C&D) was launched by the Union Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry.
- The fifth edition of the annual cleanliness survey “Swachh Survekshan 2020” was launched by Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) which will culminate in January 2020.
- The theme of the Survey is “Cleanliness is Our Right”.
- At the event, the Ministry launched a mobile application called Swachh Nagar app, AI-enabled mSBM App, SBM Water PLUS Protocol, Swachh Survekshan 2020 Toolkit.
Key Focus areas for Swachh Survekshan 2020 are:
- Collect segregate waste and maintain till processing site
- Utilize capacity of wet processing facilities
- Treat and re-use waste water
- Curtain solid waste based Air Pollution
- Follow three principles – Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- Uplift social condition of informal Waste Pickers
- Promote procurement through GeM
- Assess Ganga Towns separately to accelerate action
- Engage Technology-driven Monitoring
Swachh Nagar app:
- The waste like solid, wet or construction and demolition (C&D) collected by their urban local bodies.
- The application was launched along with a new protocol on wastewater treatment that would become a part of cleanliness rankings of cities.
- The app would let users place a request to have waste picked up from their homes and make the payment for the same.
- The users can also track the waste-collection vehicle on the app, ensuring accountability of municipal corporations.
- The app had been tested in Gurugram and in some of the General Pool Residential Accommodation colonies for government staff.
- It was already functional in Agra, Palwal and Port Blair and would now be extended to the whole country.
The Water+ protocol was launched for cities, in which the tag of Water+ if it ensures 100% treatment of wastewater and 10% use of treated wastewater.
- Another mobile application, through which the government would be able to check whether funds given to beneficiaries of the Swachh Bharat Mission for constructing toilets are used for the work before releasing the second instalment.
- National Informatics Centre (NIC) developed this app.
- The application helps to detect the beneficiary face and toilet seat in the photo uploaded using Artificial Intelligence (AI) model at the backend.
Swachh Survekshan is an annual survey of cleanliness, hygiene and sanitation in cities and towns across India. It was launched as part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, which aims to make India clean and free of open defecation by 2 October 2019.
Links to note: