Stress Management Training
STRESS MANAGEMENT TRAINING FOR ITBP FORCE
What’s in news?
Ministry of Home Affairs and NIMHANS signed an agreement to train the ITBP force on stress management.
- Stress is a universal and common challenge to any kind of organization and reduces the employee productivity.
- Impacts: Following are the impacts created due to high stress;
- It decreases overall performance of the personnel who are guarding the border.
- High error rate and poor quality of work.
- Absenteeism – Due to lack of good health.
- Other forms of ailments – frequent headache, obesity and cardiac arrests.
- MoU: The MoU was signed between Ministry of Home Affairs and National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS) in the last December 2019.
- Purpose of MoU: The agreement was signed to train the 90000 ITBP personnel on Stress Management.
- Master coaches: In order to train the 90000 personnel, NIMHANS training around 450 people as master coaches who will in turn train other personnel.
- Need: The need for such training is – the ITBP personnel who are guarding around 3600km India-China border, suffer a lot from stress which lead them to commit suicide.
- Ways of stress: Following are the ways, how the personnel are being stressed;
- The low temperature (-40 degree Celsius) in the 3600km long China border where they guarding for months.
- During that time, they are far away from their families without any contact.
- While stopping them from holidays in emergency situations by which they can’t meet their families.
- Leads in: When the personnel were in high stress, the personnel who can’t manage the stress, they consume excessive alcohol and also, some other commit suicide.
- Programme in the training: The training Programme includes the following;
Yoga, Addiction Management, Suicide Prevention, Family & Work Enrichment, Self-Care and the ways to deal with the environmental factors
- How they been trained? It is a ten day training programme and if a batch of 30 people is trained, they go back and train other personnel.
Data to know:
- NIMHANS had conducted a similar programme for Tamil Nadu police in 2018.
- NIMHANS Science Day-2020: A theme-based exhibitions will be organized by the NIMHANS on Feb 12.
- The theme covers the topics like development of brain, cognition and sleep, and mental health among others.
Links to note: