WORLD SOIL DAY
“If you spoil the land, where you will crop”
What’s in news?
- World Soil Day is observed on 5 December every year to raise awareness about the importance of soil on Earth and highlight the growing problem due to population expansion.
- It focuses on the importance of healthy soil and to advocate for the sustainable management of soil resources.
Theme for 2019:
- The theme of World Soil Day 2019 is – “Stop Soil Erosion, Save our Future”. The theme focuses on how we can prevent soil erosion and save our future. On World Soil Day every year, different programmes and events are held to tell people about the importance of soil in their lives.
- The theme of the soil day in the year 2019 is “Be the Solution to Soil Pollution”.
- Soil is made up of minerals, organic matter and air in different proportions.
- Soil is important as it provides the medium for the growth of plants, habitat for several insects and organisms. Soil is also the source of four important ‘living’ factors
- shelter and
- Thus, conservation of soil is essential. Soil conversation is basically the method to conserve or preserve soil. There are numerous reasons for the loss in soil fertility like
- erosion, salinization &
- chemical contamination.
- Soil erosion takes place when the top soil gets removed. This top soil is essential for nutrients, micro-organisms, which are necessary for plant growth and shine. There are several ways to conserve soil such as,
- Green Manures
- Crop Rotation
- Terrace farming
- Contour Ploughing
- Salinity Management
- The date 5th of December was selected because it corresponds with the official birthday of the King of Thailand, late H.M. King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who was one of the main proponents of this initiative.
- In December 2013, UN General Assembly at the 68th session declared 5 December as World Soil Day. The first World Soil Day was celebrated on 5 December 2014.
Links to note: