What’s in News?
Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s top Special Protection Group (SPG) security has been withdrawn. He will have Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) cover, the home ministry has decided after what it calls a routine assessment taking the inputs of all agencies.
- The Special Protection Group (SPG) was raised in 1985 with the intention to provide proximate security cover to the Prime Minister, former Prime Ministers and their immediate family members.
- SPG officers are ingrained in high leadership qualities, professionalism, knowledge of proximate security and inculcate the culture of leading from the front.
- SPG has strived to achieve this by adopting innovative methods not only in its own working, but also in the overall security arrangements in collaboration with the IB and State/ UT police forces. It is because of the high leadership qualities, professionalism and knowledge of its officers that SPG ensures fail proof and zero-error security for its Protectees.
Shri Arun Kumar Sinha, IPS is the current SPG director.
Present SPG protectees:
- Prime Minister: Narendra Modi
- Interim Congress president : Sonia Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi, Priyanka Gandhi and Robert Vadera
When the then PM Indira Gandhi was assassinated, the government felt a need to raise a dedicated force whose sole responsibility will be to protect present and former PMs of India and their immediate family members.
- The Modi government is likely to withdraw the Special Protection Group (SPG) from former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh’s security detail shortly, according to several sources. The decision, reportedly taken after a threemonth review involving the Cabinet Secretariat and the Ministry of Home Affairs with inputs
- from intelligence agencies R AW and IB, has not yet been formally communicated in writing, but was ‘orally’ conveyed to the former Prime Minister.
- This would mean that the elite protection force of about 3,000 offi cers meant for the PMs, the former PMs and their families would now be tasked with protecting only Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Congress president Sonia Gandhi and her children Rahul Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi Vadra.
Links to note: