UPSC: SHANGHAI COOPERATION ORGANIZATION JOINT EXERCISE
On November 2, 2018, the two-day long preparatory meeting of the “Shanghai Cooperation Organization Joint Exercise on Urban Earthquake Search & Rescue- 2019” concluded in New Delhi.
- It was the first phase of the main exercise scheduled for 21-24 February, 2019in Delhi which will be organized by the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) on behalf of Government of India.
- The key note address was delivered by Shri R. K. Jain, Member, National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA).
- The meeting focused on chalking out the plan, discuss requirements, details and modalities of main exercise, which is scheduled for February, 2019.
- It also highlighted on sensitization about the dimensions of disaster and responsibility of SCO.
- Furthermore, India has also hosted the South Asian Annual Disaster Management Exercise (SAADMEx), Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) and Bay of Bengal Initiatives for Multi-Sectoral, Technical and Economic Corporation (BIMSTEC).
The preparatory meeting was organized to conduct the “Shanghai Cooperation Organization Joint Exercise on Urban Earthquake Search & Rescue- 2019 for the region, which was proposed by India during the 9th meeting of the Heads of Departments of disaster prevention of SCO countries of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) member states, led by Union Home Minister, Shri. Rajnath Singh, held at Kyrgyzstan in August, 2017.
- Full Form: Shanghai Cooperation Organization.
- India and Pakistan has joined the organization as full time members from 2017 at a summit in Astana, Kazakhstan.
- Number of Member Countries are: 8 (present), 4 (Observer states).
- Headquarters: Beijing, China
- The SCO was founded at a summit in Shanghai in 2001 by the presidents of Russia, China, Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
- Secretary General: Rashid Alimov.
National Disaster Response Force (NDRF):
♦ Director General: Mr. Sanjay Kumar.
♦ Headquarters: New Delhi.