SC / ST PREVENTION OF ATROCITIES ACT
Section 144 will be implemented in gwalior on april 3
What’s in news?
The state administration informed, due to avoiding any unpleasant incident, section 144 will be implemented in Gwalior from 6am – 12pm.
On 3 April, 2018, a protest was undergone over the SC / ST protection act, which claims 7 lives.
- On March 20, 2018 the Supreme Court prohibits the automatic arrest of the complaint filed on a public servant under the act. It had also introduced anticipatory bail provision under this act.
- However, the centre had made amendments in the act to overcome the top court’s order diluting the provision of arrest under the law.
SC/ST prevention of atrocities act:
- The scheduled castes and tribes (prevention of atrocities) act is known as POA, SC/ST Act, The Prevention Of Atrocities Act, Or The Atrocities Act.
- Dalit’s (SC) and tribal (ST) are the most marginalized sections of Indian society. Many atrocities have been committed against them since time immemorial. The SC/ST prevention of atrocities act protects them against discrimination and atrocities.
- Protection of civil rights act, Indian penal code, was inadequate to check many dimensions of atrocities meted to SC/ST. This lead to scheduled caste and scheduled tribe (prevention of atrocities) act, 1989 and rules, 1995.
Government steps against the atrocities to SC/ST:
- Article 17 -To abolish ‘untouchability’.
- Article 46– To promote the educational and economic interests of SCs, STs, and other weaker sections of the society and to protect them from social injustice and exploitation
- Article 338– To form a National Commission for Scheduled Castes
- Article 338-a – separately to form a National Commission for Scheduled Tribes
- However, the SC/ST act can never be called as a successful legislation. Dalit’s and tribal still face discrimination.
- On the other side, there is widespread concern over misuse of the provisions of the act against innocent persons. As per the supreme court of India, the SC/ST act has become an instrument of “blackmail” and is being used by some to exact “vengeance” and satisfies vested interests.