World Day for Safety and Health at Work
WORLD DAY FOR SAFETY AND HEALTH AT WORK
What’s in news?
The World Day for Safety and Health at Work is being celebrated today.
- Date: As part of the Global Strategy on Occupational Safety and Health, the event is being celebrated on April 28 every year, since 2003.
- Celebrated by: The day is being celebrated by International Labour Organization (ILO).
- Theme’20: The theme for the year 2020 is ‘stop the pandemic’.
- Purpose: The day is being celebrated to raise awareness on how to make workplace safe and healthy for the employers by ensuring freedom, equity, security and human dignity at the workplace.
- Objective: This year (2020) the day is being observed to get global attention on the expanse of the problem and to promote safe and healthy work culture in order to reduce work-related deaths and injuries.
- COVID-19 Pandemic: Recognizing the great challenge that governments, employers, workers and whole societies are facing worldwide to combat the COVID-19 pandemic, the World Day for Safety and Health at Work will focus on addressing the outbreak of infectious diseases at work, in particular, on the COVID-19 pandemic.
- It is an awareness-raising campaign intended to focus international attention on the magnitude of the problem and on how promoting and creating a safety and health culture can help reduce the number of work-related deaths and injuries.
- Significance of the day: Laws and Services — necessary to ensure that workers remain employable and that enterprises flourish.
- This includes the development of a national policy and programme and a system of inspection to enforce compliance with occupational safety and health legislation and policy.
Data to know:
- April 28: The day also observed as the International Commemoration Day for Dead and Injured Workers.
- Organized by: The day is organized worldwide by the trade union movement since 1996.
Links to note:
: Function create_function() is deprecated in /var/www/wp-content/themes/univero/template-parts/author-bio.php
on line 3