MEHRAULI MONSOON FESTIVAL
What’s in news?
Three-day Mehrauli Monsoon Festival kicked off on today.
- Delhi’s first monsoon festival, called the Mehrauli Monsoon Festival will be kicked off in this monsoon season.
- The Festival was organized by Delhi Travel and Tourism Development Corporation (DTTDC) in association with the Government of Delhi
- The festival was inaugurated by Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia.
- A plethora of activities lined up to highlight the cultural and ecological significance of Mehrauli as a tourist destination.
- Mehrauli is a historic location, exploring its rich culture, ecology and heritage.
- Cultural events will be held at three venues in Mehrauli park –
- Aam Bagh – Will showcase local and folk-art forms. Also host a vibrant mela with stalls serving dishes native to the capital and surrounding states.
- Jahaaz Mahal – Will host musical concerts, while heritage and ecological walks and painting/sculpting workshops.
- To engage visitors’ workshops on painting, sculptures and ecology will also be held along with the performances.
INDIA AND PAKISTAN IN SAARC
What’s in news?
India and Pakistan are expected to participate in the Foreign Minister-level meeting of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) in New York.
- An earlier summit scheduled in Islamabad cancelled in view of terror attacks on India
- The Foreign Minister-level meeting of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) in New York on September 26, the meeting has remained on track despite the state of tension between the two countries.
- The meeting is an annual affair that takes place on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly’s session.
- It will be the first occasion since August 5, where the Foreign Ministers will be seen in a single venue.
- Established year: 1985.
- The Foreign Secretaries of the seven countries met for the first time in Colombo in April 1981.
- The Committee of the Whole, which met in Colombo in August 1981, identified five broad areas for regional cooperation. New areas of cooperation were added in the following years.
- Member countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
- Annual meet: The highest authority in the SAARC are the summits and they are held yearly once.
Objectives of SAARC:
The areas of cooperation under the reconstituted Regional Integrated Programme of Action which is pursued through the Technical Committees now cover the following:
- Agriculture and Rural Development
- Women, Youth and Children
- Health and Population Activities
- Science and Technology and Meteorology
- Environment and Forestry
- Human Resource Development, and
Links to note: