S-400 AIR DEFENCE SYSTEM
What’s in news?
Russia started the production and the S-400 air defence system will be delivered by 2025.
- Russia has been one of India’s key major suppliers of arms and ammunition.
- Russia started production of S-400 long-range surface-to-air missile systems for India and it will deliver all the five units by 2025.
- With this, India will be the fourth country to procure S-400 missiles after Russia and Belarus and China.
- In October 2018, India signed a USD 5 billion deal with the Russia to buy the air defence missile systems – S-400 missile defence system, Russia’s most advanced long-range surface-to-air missile defence system.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin held annual summit talks during which they decided to further ramp up defence and strategic cooperation besides resolving to expedite pending projects.
- With this the deal was signed by not withstanding warning from the Trump administration that going ahead with the contract may invite US sanctions through CAATSA.
- Out of total amount, in 2019, India made the first tranche of payment of around USD 800 million to Russia for the missile systems.
- India have chosen this S-400 air defence system, it may significantly boost the India’s air defence mechanism – as this missile systems are among best in the world.
- Other procurements: Following are the procurements from the Russia
- India is procuring 200 Kamov Ka-226T choppers to replace its ageing Cheetah and Chetak helicopters.
- 60 choppers will be supplied to India from Russia 140 will be produced in India.
- It is upgraded version of S-300 missile system.
- The S-400 includes advanced radar designed to detect stealth fighters like the F-35.
- The Russian-built S-400 Triumf is the world’s most dangerous operationally deployed modern long-range surface-to-air missile system.
- The S-400 is a mobile system that integrates a multifunction radar, autonomous detection and targeting systems, anti-aircraft missile systems, launchers, and a command and control centre.
- Range and altitude: The range of the missile is 400Km and the altitude is 30Km.
Data to know:
- China will be the first country to buy the S-500 missiles from Russia.
- S-500 missile is under development and testing phase in Russia, which is similar to the US THAAD (Terminal High Altitude Area Defence) system.
- Range: The strike range of S-500 missile is 600km.
Links to note: