Prakash portal and Vayoshreshtha Samman
What’s in news?
The Union Minister for Power and the Union Minister for Coal & Mines jointly launched PRAKASH portal for transparency and better coordination in coal supplies to power plants.
- The Indian government has launched a portal for better coordination among the ministries of power, coal and Indian Railways for coal supply to power plants.
- The portal was jointly launched by power minister RK Singh and coal minister Pralhad Joshi.
- Prakash stands for “Power Rail Koyla Availability through Supply Harmony”.
- This help in mapping and monitoring entire coal supply chain for power plants.
- This web portal would enable all stakeholders to monitor coal right from mines to transportation to the power plants.
- In the first six months of FY20, the Coal production in the country declined 4% annually to 304 MT, mainly due to excessive rains hampering mining operations.
How it will be useful?
- The Coal company will be able to track stocks and the coal requirement at power stations for effective production planning.
- Indian Railways can plan to place the rakes as per the coal availability and stock availability at the power stations.
- Power stations can plan future schedule by knowing rakes in pipe line and expected time to reach.
What’s in news?
The President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind presented the “Vayoshreshtha Samman-2019” to the eminent senior citizens and institutions.
- To mark the ‘International Day of older Persons’, the services of the senior citizens are recognized through Vayoshreshtha Samman.
- Vayoshreshtha Samman is intended to show case the Government’s concern for senior citizens and its commitment towards them with the aim of strengthening their legitimate place in the society.
- A Scheme of National Awards instituted by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
- Establisehd in 2005 and upgraded as National awards in 2013 for institutions involved in rendering distinguished service for the cause of elderly persons especially indigent senior citizens and to eminent citizens in recognition of their service/achievements.
- 1999 was celebrated as the International Year of Older Persons.
Links to note: