What’s in news?
- Union Minister of Women & Child Development and Textiles, Smriti Zubin Irani gave away the “Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY)” awards to States, Union Territories and Districts for best performance.
- PMMVY stands for “Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana”.
- The PMMVY is a maternity benefit programme being implemented in all districts of the country from 01.01.2017.
- Under PMMVY a cash incentive of 5000 is provided directly to the bank/ post office account of Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW&LM) for the first living child of the family subject to fulfilling specific conditions relating to maternal and child health.
- PMMVY is implemented using the platform of Anganwadi Services Scheme of Umbrella ICDS under the Women Child Development Ministry in respect of States/ UTs implementing scheme through Women and Child Development Department/ Social Welfare Department and through health system in respect of States/ UTs where scheme is implemented by Health and Family Welfare Department.
- In the category of best performance since inception of the Scheme to States/ UTs having population of more than 1 crore the first position was awarded to the State of
- Madhya Pradesh, followed by
- Andhra Pradesh and
- Haryana was in the third position.
- In the same category, among States/ UTs having population of less than 1 crore
- Dadra & Nagar Haveli is in the first position.
- Himachal stood second and
- Chandigarh is at the third position.
- District level awards for States/ UTs with population of more than 1 crore
- the first position went to Indore in Madhya Pradesh.
- Kurnool in Andhra Pradesh is in second position and
- South Salmara Mankachar in Assam was third.
- Among the districts of States/ UTs having population of less than 1 crore the
- first position went to Serchhip in Mizoram,
- second position to Unain Himachal Pradesh and
- Puducherry was in the third position.
- The second category of awards was announced for performance by States/ UTs during the Matru Vandana Saptah (MVS) held from 2nd to 8th December 2019.
- The objective of observing MVS was to increase the implementation of the Scheme and create a healthy competition amongst States/ UTs. The theme of the Saptah was “towards building a healthy nation – Surakshit Janani, Viksit Dharini”.
- Awards for Matru Vandana Saptah for the States/ UTs having population more than 1 crore
- the first position for outstanding performance went to Andhra Pradesh,
- Maharashtra stood second and
- Madhya Pradesh came third.
- The States/ UTs having population of less than one crore, who were recognized for their outstanding performance during the Matru Vandana Saptah were
- Dadra & Nagar Haveli which was first,
- Sikkim came second and
- Manipur third.
Links to note: