Permanent Women Officers in Indian Army
Union Defence Ministry has announced that women officers inducted as short-service commissioned (SSC) officers will be eligible for permanent careers in all 10 branches of Indian Army. It will allow them to serve till age of retirement in par with their male counterparts. This decision was taken in line announcement made by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his 72nd Independence Day speech.
10 branches of Indian Army: Women officers were until now allowed permanent commission only in two branches – Judge Advocate General (JAG) and Army Education Corps. In addition to these, they will now be granted permanent commission in other eight branches of Indian Army viz. Signals, Engineers, Army Air Defence, Army Aviation, Electronics and Mechanical Engineers, Army Service Corps, Army Ordinance Corps and Intelligence.
Process of Permanent Commission
- SSC women officers will give their option for permanent commission before completion of four years of Commissioned Service.
- They will exercise option for grant of permanent commission and their choice of specialization.
- They will be considered for grant of permanent commission based on suitability, merit etc and will be employed in various staff appointment.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his speech on the occasion of 72nd Independence Day (15 August 2018) had announced that women officers recruited under SSC in armed forces will have option of taking up permanent commission through a transparent process. Prior to this, under SSC, women officers were allowed tenures ranging from five to 14 years of services.
Women in Other Services
- Indian Air Force (IAF): All branches including that of fighter pilots are open for women officers.
- Indian Navy: All non-sea going branches/cadre/specialisation are open for women officers through Short Service Commission.
- Women SSC officers have also are now eligible for grant of permanent commission in education, law and naval constructor branch/cadre, naval armament branch at par with male officers.
Permanent Commission in Indian Army
A Permanent Commission means a career in the Army till the person retire. For Permanent Commission , one has to join
National Defence Academy, PUNE : Indian Military Academy, Dehradun :
The main entries to get into IMA are as under:
- Combined Defence Service Examination (CDSE): One can also take the CDS Entrance Exam (ALL 3 PAPERS) conducted by UPSC when in the final year of Graduation / possess any Graduate Degree. Clear the SSB interview, be medically fit and join IMA.
- Technical Graduate Scheme (TGC): A final year B.e/B.Tech graduate can apply for this entry.
- Officers Training Academy, Gaya ( 10 + 2 TES ENTRY )