Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/visitors-online/visitors-online.php on line 425

Notice: Undefined offset: 2 in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/visitors-online/visitors-online.php on line 425
Pakistan denies airspace - Shanmugam IAS academy in coimbatore
Pakistan denies airspace

PAKISTAN DENIES AIRSPACE

What’s in news?

Pakistan refused India’s request to allow President Ram Nath Kovind to use its airspace for his flight to Iceland.

Background:

  • Pakistan had fully closed its airspace in February after an Indian Air Force strike on a Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) terror camp in Balakot.
  • The country opened its airspace for all flights except for New Delhi, Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur on March 27.
  • On May 15, Pakistan extended its airspace ban for flights to India till May 30. It fully opened its airspace for all civilian traffic on July 16.
  • Pakistan allowed Sushma Swaraj to flyover.
  • Pakistan accepted India’s request for PM Modi to fly over, but he took a longer route.
  • Pakistan has already suspended its trade with India and stopped the train and bus services in protest to India’s August 5 decision to end Jammu and Kashmir’s special status.

Key data:

  • The decision was approved by Prime Minister Imran Khan in view of the tense situation in Kashmir
  • Khan’s government has been under pressure from the Opposition and some ministers to impose ban on India to use its airspace after India revoked special status of Kashmir.
  • President Ram Nath Kovind is scheduled to travel to Iceland, Switzerland and Slovenia on an official nine-day visit.

 

MID-MONSOON 2019 LIGHTNING REPORT

What’s in news?

Odisha recorded the maximum incidents of lightning and Uttar Pradesh recorded maximum deaths due to lightning during April – July 2019.

Key data’s:

  • The report named as “Mid-Monsoon 2019 Lightning Report”.
  • The report has been prepared by Climate Resilient Observing Systems Promotion Council (CROPC), a non-profit organisation that works closely with India Meteorological Department (IMD).
  • It has been prepared by using IMD’s lightning forecasts including Nowcast, Indian Institute of Tropical Management-Pune’s lightning network data, NRSC and ISRO inputs.
  • This is for the first time, a report has mapped lightning strikes across the country, and the lives they have claimed. The report is part of an effort to create a database that can help develop an early warning system for lightning, spread awareness, and prevent deaths. 

Key findings of the report: 

  • Incidents: The report counted 65.55 lakh lightning strikes in India during the four-month period between April and July this year.
  • Of these 23.53 lakh (36 %) happened to be cloud-to-ground lightning, the kind that reaches the Earth. The other 41.04 lakh (64 %) were in-cloud lightning, which remains confined to the clouds in which it was formed.
  • Odisha recorded over 9 lakh incidents of lightning, the maximum for any state.
  • Deaths: Lightning strikes have caused at least 1,311 deaths in this four-month period. UP accounted for 224 of these deaths, followed by Bihar (170), Odisha (129) and Jharkhand (118).

 

Links to note:

https://www.iasipstnpsc.in/pakistan/

https://www.dailyexcelsior.com/pakistan-denies-indian-presidents-request-to-use-its-airspace-for-foreign-visits/

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/pakistan-denies-president-ram-nath-kovind-request-to-use-its-airspace-for-foreign-visits-1596657-2019-09-07

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

WELCOME TO SHANMUGAM IAS ACADEMY

Shop Youtube