Nobel prize and GRAF model
NOBEL PRIZE FOR PHYSICS 2019
What’s in news?
The Nobel Prize 2019 for Physics was announced which recognizes research that helps us understand our place in the universe..
The awardees were;
- James Peebles, a Canadian-American cosmologist, won one-half of the Prize for his theoretical work helping us understand how the universe evolved after the Big Bang.
- Another half was won by Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz, Swiss astronomers for their discovery of an exoplanet that challenged preconceived ideas about planets.
- James Peebles work is focused largely on Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) radiation, which is electromagnetic radiation left over from the early universe once it had cooled sufficiently following the Big Bang.
- Radio astronomers Arnold Penzias and Robert Wilson had won the Nobel prize for physics, for observing the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) for the first time in 1964.
Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz:
- Using a spectrograph, ELODIE, they predicted the planet by observing the “Doppler effect” — when the star wobbles as an effect of a planet’s gravity on its observed light.
- Today, exoplanets are being discovered very frequently — over 4,000 are known — which is remarkable progress from three decades ago, when not even one exoplanet was known.
What’s in news?
IBM Business, sets great by store by Artificial Intelligence in tracking/forecasting weather events in the context of climate change/global warming.
- IBM Business a weather company to launch later this year the Global High-Resolution Atmospheric Forecasting System (GRAF) model capable of predicting a thunderstorm virtually anywhere on the planet every hour.
- The physics of the atmosphere being governed by the same factors today and tomorrow.
- There’s a continual of processing of learning involved in which specific algorithms update themselves to capture more and more of these changes as they happen over a particular place/region under reference.
How it works?
- Two or three years of data should help one to capture these things into the model.
- It can get better with time, but one can’t put a number to the level of protection achievable during that period.
Links to note: