New Chairperson of Appellate Tribunal for Electricity (APTEL)
Smt. Justice Manjula Chellur took Oath as Chairperson, Appellate Tribunal for Electricity, Ministry of Power..
Prior to this, Smt. Justice Manjula Chellur was Chief Justice of Bombay High Court
She was the first woman Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court.
She was the first female judge of the Karnataka High Court.
The APTEL had been without a full-time Chairperson for eight months, since the retirement of Justice Ranjana P Desai on November 30, 2017.
- Appellate Tribunal for Electricity has been established by Central Government for those who are not satisfied with the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission order or with a state.
- The Tribunal has the authority to overrule or amend that order, just like the Income-Tax tribunal or the Central Administrative Tribunal. The tribunal has to be approached within 45 days of the aggrieved person from getting the order
- The Appellate Tribunal shall consist of a Chairperson and three other Members.
- Every Bench constituted by the Chairperson shall consist of at least one Judicial Member and one Technical Member.
- The first Chairperson of the Tribunal, was Mr. Justice Anil Dev Singh,who assumed office on 13th May, 2005.