RASHTRIYA EKTA DIWAS
What’s in news?
October 31 is celebrated as Rashtriya Ekta Diwas annually since 2014.
- The day is also known as “National Unity Day” to celebrate the birthday of Sardar Vallabhai Patel.
- The day was introduced by the Government of India in 2014, which was officially announced by the Home Ministry of India and was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Aim: To celebrate the birth anniversary of Sardar Patel in order to commemorate his contribution towards a united India.
- The year 2019 marks his 144th birth anniversary.
Run for Unity:
A campaign inaugurated by the PM Modi, to spread awareness about Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s contribution to Indian history.
Facts to know about Sardar Vallabhai Patel:
- Life period:10.1875 – 15.12.1950
- Born Place: Karamsand, Gujarat.
- Occupation: Barrister and Politician.
- Also known as Iron Man of India or Bismarck of India, Patron Saint of India’s civil servants.
- Finished his schoolings at the age of 22 and passed district pleader’s examination due to which he was able to practice law.
- In August 1910, he went to London for further studies in law and returns in 1913.
- In 1917, Sarder Patel joined the Indian Independence struggle after he met Mahatama Gandhi in 1917.
- He served as the first Indian municipal commissioner of Ahmadabad from 1917 to 1924.
- He became the President of Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee in 1920 and worked against alcoholism, untouchability, caste discrimination.
- By supporting Mahatama Gandhi’s Non-Cooperation Movement and switched to wearing only khadi clothes.
- Also, he was elected as a municipal president from 1924 to 1928.
- Bardoli campaign: In 1928, he led the campaign in favor of peasants, farmers where he earned the title called “Sardar” (Means ‘leader’).
- In 1931, he presided the Karachi session of the Indian National Congress.
- He was the first chairman and founder of the Edward Memorial High School Borsad (E.M.H.S) now, it is known as Jhaverbhai Dajibhai Patel High School.
- He encouraged Indians to sign a petition demanding Swaraj (self-rule) from Britain.
- He represented India on the Partition Council after India got independence.
- He earned the title, “Iron Man of India” by integrating 562 princely states in the country.
- He was awarded the Bharat Ratna posthumously in 1991.
Other few honors:
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Memorial was set up at 1980.
- National Unity Day was announced in the year 2014.
- Sardar Sarovar dam was opened in the name of Sardar Patel in 2017. The planning and the construction were beginning three decades ago.
- World’s tallest statue was unveiled as “The Statue of Unity” in 2018.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology was established at Surat.
Links to note: