Puraskar and Delimitation Commission
What’s in news?
A delimitation commission was formed to delimit the constituencies.
- Chairperson: The appointed Chairman of the delimitation commission is Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai, former Supreme Court Judge.
- Purpose: The purpose behind the setting up of delimitation committee is to delimit the Lok Sabha and assembly constituencies in the union territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Act followed: The delimitation in J&K will be based on the Census of 2011 due to an amendment in the J&K Reorganisation Act.
- For the last time, in 1995, the former state Jammu and Kashmir was delimited for the Lok Sabha and assembly elections.
- Delimitation Commission: As per the provision mentioned in section 3 of the Delimitation Act, 2002, to constitute a delimitation committee, the Central Government can constitute such commission for delimitation of Assembly and Parliamentary constituencies.
- Applicable states: This provision is applicable to the following states / UTs – Jammu and Kashmir, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur and Nagaland.
- Delimitation base: The latest delimitation in other parts of India has been done as per the census of 2001. The future delimitation will be based on the census of 2031.
NARI SHAKTI PURASKAR FOR 2019
What’s in news?
The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind presented Nari Shakti Puraskar for the year 2019 at a special ceremony held in Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
- The awards were conferred on 15 eminent women in recognition of their efforts in rendering distinguished services towards emancipation of women, especially vulnerable and marginalized women.
- Nari Shakti Puraskar is an initiative of the Ministry of Women and Child Development to acknowledge the exceptional contribution made by individuals and institutions, to celebrate women as game changers and catalyst of positive change in the society.
- These outstanding women have contributed towards safeguarding women’s rights along with pushing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Goals.
- The winners of the Nari Shakti Puraskar for the year 2019 are from fields as diverse as agriculture, sports, handicrafts, afforestation and wildlife conservation, Armed Forces and education.
- The Nari Shakti Puraskar carries a cash award of Rs.1 Lakh and a certificate for individuals and institutions.
- With the institution of these awards all the earlier women awards given by the Ministry of Women & Child Development ceased to exist.
Links to note: