KISAN RAIL COMMITTEE
What’s in news?
The Government has set up Kisan Rail Committee following the proposal made in Union budget 2020.
- Proposed by: The establishment of a committee for Kisan Rail program under PPP was proposed by the Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in her recent first Union Budget.
- Responsible Ministry: The Committee was formed under Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
- Composition: The committee has a representative of Ministry of Agriculture and Ministry of Railways.
- Purpose: The committee was framed with an intention to double the farmers income by looking into cold supply chain for perishables by starting the express and freight trains with refrigerated coaches.
- Aim: The formation of this committee has an aim to promote a flawless supply chain of perishable products – which will be a step towards doubling of farmers income.
- Connectivity between different states of India set to improve under this initiative.
- Using solar panels: The Ministry of Railways is planning for installation of solar panels on un-utilized railway land for meeting its energy needs for both traction and non-traction purposes.
Key functions of the committee:
- Refrigerated vans: With the existing 9 refrigerated vans with the capacity of 17 tonnes, the committee would work on increasing the capacity of refrigerated vans for transportation of goods from farms to ports.
- Recently, a reefer container operated from Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra carrying bananas for export.
- The charge of the vans is 5 times the charge of a normal freight train.
- Reefer containers: 25 rakes each carrying 43 reefer containers will run in the next three months. This will speed up the transportation of perishable products like vegetables, fruits, milk, meat, and fish to markets. It also includes transportation of pharmaceuticals.
- Cargo centers: has developed Temperature controlled perishable cargo centers as pilot projects at New Delhi and Uttar Pradesh.
Data to know:
- Kisan Rail: Proposed in the Union Budget 2020-21 and would be set up by the Ministry of Railways under PPP model.
- Krishi Udan: Proposed in the Union Budget and would be set up by Civil Aviation Ministry on international and national routes to transport perishable goods to less accessible areas such as the north-east and tribal districts.
Links to note: