PM GAREEB KALYAN ANNA YOJANA
What’s in news?
Amid COVID-19 lockdown, the Central Government launches a scheme to help the poor people.
- Name of the scheme: The scheme introduced is “PM Gareeb Kalyan Anna Yojana”.
- Amount announced: A package of Rs 1.7 lakh crore was announced by Finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman for the implementation of the scheme.
- Government of India would not allow anybody, especially any poor family, to suffer on account of non-availability of foodgrains due to disruption in the next three months.
- 80 crore individuals, i.e, roughly two-thirds of India’s population would be covered under this scheme.
- Each one of them would be provided double of their current entitlement over next three months.
- This additionally would be free of cost.
- Medical insurance: Finance Minister also announces Rs 50 lakh as a medical insurance for each for paramedics, nurses, ASHA workers and others working on the frontlines of fighting the COVID-19 across the country, which will benefit about 20 lakh people.
- Free food: Under the scheme, 80 crore poor people, covering about two-thirds of the country’s population, will get 5 kg rice or wheat each month for the next three months free of charge, in addition to the 5 kg they already get.
- Each household will get 1 kg of dal of their choice, for next three months.
- Financial help: Following are the financial help given by the Government to the various sector of economically weaker section;
- To the 8.69 crore farmer’s accounts, the government will deposit Rs 2000 starting April 1, 2020.
- The 5 crore MNREGA workers will be benefited 2,000 additional income to daily wage workers.
- For above 60 years, widows and disabled, ex gratia of Rs 1,000, in two instalments has been announced.
- 20 crore women Jan Dhan Account holders will get Rs 500 ex gratia per month for three months.
- Other measures: Following are the other measures announced by the Finance Minister;
- The announced eight separate measures directed at farmers, MNREGA, poor widows, poor pensioners, Jan Dhan Yojana accounts held by women, UJVALA scheme holders, SHGs for women, organised sector workers through EPFO and construction workers.
Links to note: