Kajin Sara and New weapon
What’s in news?
A newly-discovered lake named as Kajin Sara in Manang district located at an altitude of 5,200 meters is likely to set a new world record of being the world’s highest lake.
- The Kajin Sara lake was discovered a few months ago by a team of mountaineers located at Singarkharka area of Chame rural municipality.
- The lake is located at an altitude of 5,200 metres, which is yet to be officially verified. It is estimated to be 1,500-metre-long and 600-metre-wide.
- The lake called Singar locally, which is said to have formed out of the water melted from the Himalayas, can be reached after 18 hours” trek from Manang district headquarters, Chame. It’s 24 km from Chame.
- The lake has Manaslu to the east, Mt.Damodar to the west, Mt Annapurna and Mt.Lamjung to the south, and Mt Peri in the Tibet to the north.
- Tilicho lake is situated at an altitude of 4,919 metres. It is 4 km long, 1.2 km wide and around 200 metres deep. Tilicho Lake is the destination of one of the most popular side hikes of the Annapurna Circuit trek.
- The municipal authorities hope that the newly found lake would help promote tourism in the district once it is declared the world’s highest lake.
LATEST IS A NEW WEAPON
What’s in news?
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un supervised a “new weapon” test, the latest in a series of launches.
- North Korea it protests the annual military drills under way between Seoul and Washington which always infuriates Pyongyang.
- North Korea’s leader already warned the USA, the drill may affect the ongoing denuclearization negotiations between the countries.
- This launch was the North’s fifth test in two weeks.
- The launch appeared to be two short-range ballistic missiles, flying 400 kilometers (250 miles) before splashing down in the sea between the Korean peninsula and Japan.
- No technical specifications were provided from the North Korean side but they were a “new weapon” developed to suit the country’s “terrain condition”.
- Talks have stalled since the collapse of Mr. Trump’s second summit with Kim in Vietnam in February over disagreements on exchanging sanctions relief and disarmament, although Mr. Trump made a historic trip into North Korea after the G20 conference in June.
Links to note: