Justice Uma Nath Singh took oath as the First Lokayukta of Nagaland.
Justice Uma Nath Singh took oath as the First Lokayukta of Nagaland
The first Lok Ayukta of Nagaland, Justice Uma Nath Singh, took the oath of office on Friday evening.
Nagaland Governor PB Acharya administered the oath to him at a function held at Raj Bhavan.
Justice Uma Nath Singh was a former Chief Justice of Meghalaya High Court.
He will hold the office for a term of five years or till he attains the age of 70 years whichever is earlier.
Justice Uma Nath Singh
- Post-graduated in Political Science and graduated in Law from University of Allahabad in the examination of 1980.
- Enrolled as an Advocate by Bar Council, Delhi on Apr 23, 1982. Registered as an Advocate on Record of Supreme Court of India in Mar, 1987.
- Practised in Supreme Court of India for more than 19 years in all type of cases. Appeared for Patna High Court & M.P. High Court in their cases before the Supreme Court.
- Worked as Central Govt. Counsel to handle Bhopal Gas Leak Disaster case and was an Advocate on Record and Standing Counsel for State of M.P. since Oct, 1988 till elevation.
- Also, worked as Advocate on Record and as Standing Counsel for State of Chhattisgarh since Dec, 2000.
- Elevated as an Additional Judge of Madhya Pradesh High Court on Oct 22, 2001. Took oath as a permanent Judge in Apr, 2002.
- Transferred to Punjab & Haryana High Court on Dec 2, 2004. Took oath at Allahabad High Court on Jun 30, 2009.
- Transferred to Meghalaya High Court on Aug 27, 2014.
Lokayukta of Nagaland
The Nagaland Lokayukta Act, 2017 was given assent by the Governor of Nagaland on December 21, 2017. Following this, on January 31, 2018, the Nagaland Gazette issued a notification publishing the Nagaland Lokayukta Act, 2017 for general information.