Prior to the establishment of High Court of Judicature, the Maharaja used to be the final authority in administration of justice. In 1889, the British Government asked Maharaja Partap Singh to appoint a Judicial Council that would exercise appellate powers both on civil and criminal side.
Subsequently, the Council was abolished and a Minister was designated as Judge of the High Court to decide judicial cases. In March 1928, the High Court of Judicature, comprising two judges and a CJ, was established by the Dogra monarchy.
On 10 September 1943, Letters Patent was conferred on the J&K High Court. In 1954, vide Constitution Application Order, the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court of India was extended to the State of J&K. Under Article 32 (2-A) of the Constitution of India, the State High Court was for the first time given power to issue writs for enforcement of the fundamental rights so far as they are applicable to the State of J&K.
In 1957, by the Jammu and Kashmir Constitution Act, an independent judicial body with the High Court of Judicature at the top was created by Prime Minister Bakhshi Ghulam Mohammad’s government.