Investors Summit & Paramilitary forces
GROUP A BENEFITS TO PARAMILITARY FORCES
What’s in news?
The Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved the proposal for grant of organized group ‘A’ service (OGAS) to Group ‘A’ executive cadre officers of Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) or paramilitary forces.
- The Union Cabinet approved the proposals of;
- Granting of organized group ‘A’ service (OGAS) to Group ‘A’ executive cadre officers of Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) or paramilitary forces.
- Extension of benefit of Non-Functional Financial Upgradation (NFFU) and Non-Functional Selection Grade (NFSG) to the group A service officers of these paramilitary forces.
- The move comes after a Supreme Court order asked the government to extend the benefit already available to IPS, IAS, IRS and IFS officers to CAPF officers.
- The beneficiaries include Central Reserve Police Force, Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force, Border Security Force, Central Industrial Security Force and the Sashastra Seema Bal.
- Government opposed in the Supreme Court as, the government was opposed to granting this benefit to the forces, even though non-availability of NFFU (Non-Functional Financial Upgradation) has been among the reasons for high attrition rate in these forces.
FIRST INVESTORS SUMMIT IN J&K
What’s in news?
Jammu and Kashmir will host its first-ever investor summit in September-October of this year in Srinagar to attract investment and counter perceptions about the State.
- Government officials said they are expecting participation from at least eight countries besides the rest of India.
- The State is presently under President’s Rule, which was extended by another six months last week after a vote in Parliament.
- The summit will discuss the core fields of tourism, horticulture and handicrafts.
- The investors summit, it is hoped, will change such perceptions about the State, which ranks third in the number of people holding government jobs due to a lack of other avenues.
- The image of the State as strife ridden has often come in the way of business and investment.
- The laws governing ownership of land do not allow non-State subjects (who are not permanent residents of Jammu and Kashmir) to purchase land or immoveable property in the State.
- However, the Land Grants Bill, passed by the government headed by late Shaikh Abdullah in 1978, allows the government to lease out land to outsiders for 99 years.
- The State government can designate lands as industrial and offer long term leases, but a suggestion that land outside of industrial parks could be given out on lease has met with stiff resistance from various quarters of civil society.
- Even a firm on leased land reduces its loan prospects because leased land cannot be mortgaged.
Global Investors Summit:
- Global Investors Summit, officially the Invest Madhya Pradesh Global Investors Summit or GIS is a biennial business summit organized by Government of Madhya Pradesh in Indore, the commercial capital of central India to attract domestic and foreign investment for development of the state.
- Based on the theme– India’s Growth Centre and aimed at bringing together business leaders, investors, corporations, thought leaders, policy and opinion makers; the summit serves as a perfect platform to understand and explore business opportunities in the State of Madhya Pradesh.
- The primary focus sectors of the summit are;
- Agribusiness & Food processing
- Automobile & Engineering
- IT/ITES & ESDM
- Renewable Energy
- Urban Development