Witness Protection Scheme & INS Vikrant
ODISHA IMPLEMENTS WITNESS PROTECTION SCHEME
What’s in news?
Odisha Government implements Centre’s Witness Protection Scheme.
The state government informed the Odisha High Court that it has implemented the Centre’s Witness Protection Scheme-2018.
Witness Protection Scheme, 2018:
- The Supreme Court (SC) has approved India’s First Witness Protection Schemedrafted by the union government in 2018 with inputs from 18 states/Union Territories, National Legal Services Authorities, civil society, High Courts and police personnel.
- The scheme was framed by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
- The Witness Protection Scheme aims to ensure that investigation, prosecution and trial of criminal offences are not prejudiced because witnesses are intimidated or frightened to give evidence without protection from other criminal forces.
- The programme identifies three categories of witnesses as per threat perception:
- Category A: Those cases where threat extends to the life of witness or family members during the investigation, trial or even thereafter.
- Category B: Those cases where the threat extends to safety, reputation or property of the witness or family members during the investigation or trial.
- Category C: Cases where the threat is moderate and extends to harassment or intimidation of the witness or his family members, reputation or property during the investigation, trial or thereafter.
- The expenses for the programme will be met from a “Witness Protection Fund” to be established by States and Union Territories.
- The Witness Protection Scheme, 2018 calls for preparation of a ‘Threat Analysis Report’ of the witness by the Commissioner/SSP, when witness applies for protection.
INS VIKRANT TO BE INDUCTED IN SERVICE BY 2021
What’s in news?
The country’s first Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC), Vikrant, is in advanced stage of construction and will be delivered to the Navy in 2021 for advanced trials.
- INS Vikrant, also known as Indigenous Aircraft Carrier 1 is the first aircraft carrier to be built in India.
- Vikrant is the first aircraft carrier to be designed by the Directorate of Naval Design of the Indian Navy and the first warship to be built by Cochin Shipyard.
- The name Vikrant means “courageous”. The motto of the ship is “Jayema Sam Yudhi Sprdhah”, which is taken from Rigveda 1.8.3 and can be translated as “I defeat those who fight against me“.
- The project cost has escalated to ₹19,341 crore (US$2.8 billion) as of 2014.
- It is 262 metres (860 ft) long and 60 metres (200 ft) wide, and displaces about 40,000 metric tons (39,000 long tons).
- It features a STOBAR configuration with a ski-jump.
- Vikrant is powered by four General Electric LM2500+ gas turbines on two shafts, generating over 80 megawatts (110,000 hp) of power. The gearboxes for the carriers were designed and supplied by Elecon Engineering.
- The ship’s Combat Management System (CMS) was developed by Tata Power Strategic Engineering Divisionin collaboration with Weapon and Electronics System Engineering Establishment and MARS, Russia. It is the first CMS developed by a private company for the Indian Navy, was handed over to the Navy on 28 March 2019.