GK: INDIA’S FIRST ENGINE-LESS TRAIN
Train 18, India’s first engine-less train for inter-city travel is set to hit the tracks very soon.
- Train 18 is a flagship train set; the first prototype has been built by the Integral Coach Factory, Chennai, in a record time of 20 months.
- It will be modified for subsequent production based on the feedback from RDSO (Research Designs and Standards Organisation).
- The train is a 100% ‘Make in India’ project and is claimed to be built at half the cost of a similar train set that is imported,
Notable features of the T-18
- T-18 is a self-propelled engine-less train (similar to the Metro trains) and is energy-efficient as its coaches will be fitted with LED lights.
- Coaches will have automatic doors and retractable footsteps,
- It will be inter-connected with fully sealed gangways along with a GPS-based Passenger Information System.
- It is provided with of Bio toilets.
- The full AC train is equipped to run at a speed of up to 160 kmph as against Shatabdi’s 130 kmph which will cut down travel time by 15 per cent.