INDIAN NAVAL SHIP (INS) Sahyadri visits Suva, Fiji
To further strengthen our strong bilateral relations with Fiji, an Indian Naval Ship (INS) Sahyadri entered Port of Suva on a goodwill visit.
The Naval Ship is visiting Republic of Fiji enroute to India after participation in the RIMPAC 2018 at Hawaii.
- RIMPAC, the Rim of the Pacific Exercise, is the world’s largest international maritime warfare exercise.
- RIMPAC is held biennially during June and July of even-numbered years from Honolulu, Hawaii.
- It is hosted and administered by the United States Navy’s Pacific Fleet,
- The first RIMPAC, held in 1971, involved forces from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom (UK), and the United States (US). Australia, Canada, and the US have participated in every RIMPAC since then.
- Several observer nations are usually invited, including China, Ecuador, India, Mexico, the Philippines, and Russia, who became an active participant for the first time in 2012
- 47 surface ships, five submarines, 18 national land forces, and more than 200 aircraft and 25,000 personnel had participated in RIMPAC,2018.
- There are 26 countries participating this time- Australia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Colombia, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Peru, the Republic of Korea, the Republic of the Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Tonga, the United Kingdom, the United States and Vietnam.
- The theme for this year’s RIMPAC exercise is “Capable, Adaptive, Partners.”
- Israel, Vietnam and Sri Lanka will be making their debut in RIMPAC 2018
- Fiji is an archipelago of more than 330 islands—of which 110 are permanently inhabited—and more than 500 islets, amounting to a total land area of about 18,300 square kilometres
- It is located in Oceania in Pacific Ocean.
- Fiji has one of the most developed economies in the Pacific due to an abundance of forest, mineral, and fish resources. Today, the main sources of foreign exchange are its tourist industry and sugar exports
- The majority of Fiji’s islands were formed through volcanic activity starting around 150 million years ago
- Capital of Fiji is Suva and it is the largest City
- The official languages of Fiji are English,Fijian and Fiji Hindi
- Indians account for nearly 37.5% of the entire population of Fiji.
- Fiji declared independent from United Kingdom in 1970 and became a Republic in 1987.
INDIA AND FIJI:
- Indians were transported to Fiji by the British in the late 19th century to work in sugarcane fields as indentured laborers.
- India has played a pivotal role in modernising the sugar factories in Fiji, and had extended $50.4 million Line of Credit in July 2005 for up-gradation of sugar mills in the island country.
- India has ISRO’s satellite tracking and intelligence station in Fiji.
- In 2017, India and Fiji signed a defence pact for strengthening Fiji’s naval capabilities, training and arms production, etc
- India contributed new assistance projects in Fiji, including a Parliament Library together with a fund of $5 million to foster small business and village enterprises in Fiji