Coir Geo Textiles for road construction
COIR GEO TEXTILES
What’s in news?
Coir Geo textiles gets nod for Rural Road Construction.
- Coir Geo textiles, a permeable fabric, natural, strong, highly durable, resistant to rots, moulds and moisture, free from any microbial attack, has finally been accepted as a good material for rural road construction.
- Coir Geo textiles will be used for construction of rural roads under the PMGSY-III.
- Coir is a 100% natural fiber, obtained from a renewable source – the coconut husk.
- The decision opens up a huge market potential for Coir Geo-textiles in the Country and will be a boon to the Covid-19 hit Coir Industry.
Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY):
- As per the PMGSY new technology guidelines for road construction, 15% length in each batch of proposals, is to be constructed using new technologies.
- Out of this 5% roads are to be constructed using IRC accredited technology. The IRC has now accredited coir Geo textiles for construction of rural roads.
- As per these instructions, 5% length of the rural roads under PMGSY-III will be constructed using Coir Geo textiles.
- Accordingly 164 Kms of road will be constructed using coir geo textiles in Andhra Pradesh, 151 kms in Gujarat, 71 kms in Kerala , 328 kms in Maharashtra,470 kms in Odisha, 369 kms TN and 121 kms in Telengana.
- Thus 1674 km road will be constructed using Coir Geo textiles in 07 states for which there will be a requirement of One Crore Sq. mtrs of coir Geo-textiles, estimated cost of which would come to Rs.70 Crore.
- These are synthetic including polyester and polypropylene or man-made materials that have varying degrees of permeability.
- Permeability means their surfaces have very small openings that allow liquid or gases to pass through.
- It has the ability to separate, filter, reinforce, protect and drain when used in association with soils.
- It drains areas where water pools while keeping soil in place.
- It serves as effective filters, catching some materials to prevent drains from clogging.
- It reinforces earthen structures like drains by holding layers in place.
- It protects against erosion in places like roads and beaches.
- These functions make Geo Textile fabrics useful in many industries, especially construction and civil engineering.
Links to note: Gram Sadak Yojana
: Function create_function() is deprecated in /var/www/wp-content/themes/univero/template-parts/author-bio.php
on line 3