Olympic Winners and Upadhyay Memorial
6 CR TO OLYMPICS GOLD MEDAL WINNERS
What’s in news?
Haryana Government announced that the state government will give Rs. 6 crores prize money to players that bag gold medals at the Olympic Games.
- Apart from that, the Haryana government will also give Rs. 3 crore to those winning Gold Medal at Asian Games.
- Similarly, the state government will give Rs 1.5 crore to those winning Gold Medal at Commonwealth Games.
- Haryana Government also decided to give Rs. 15 lakh to each player participating in the Olympic Games.
- The Haryana Government believes that this will make state and country proud as well as encourage players.
- The cash prize money will be given only to players representing Haryana.
- According to the new sports policy of Haryana, a new provision has been added to honor the coaches of the players.
- Apart from this, the player’s stadium will also be given 10 percent of the amount he gets to improve the facilities.
Pension for players:
- The Chief Minister of Haryana also announced pension for the players.
- He informed that the Haryana Government will provide pension to the national award winners like Arjuna Award, Dhyanchand, and Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Awards.
- This will be additional assistance to the players apart from the amount received from the central government.
- Haryana Government will also give jobs to the players who win medals in international level sports competitions.
Famous Players from Haryana:
- Kapil Dev – Cricket
- Saina Nehwal – Badminton
- Yogeshwar Dutt – Wrestling
- Vikas Krishna Yadav – Boxing
- Vijendra Singh – Boxing
- Manoj Kumar – Boxing
- Geeta Phogat – Wrestling
- Babita Phogat- Wrestling
- Sakshi Malik – Wrestling
- Sardara Singh – Hockey
STATUE OF DEENDAYAL UPADHYAY
What’s in news?
PM unveils Statue & Dedicates to the Nation the Deendayal Upadhyay Memorial
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi unveiled the Statue of Deendayal Upadhyay which is 63 ft and dedicated to the nation the Deendayal Upadhyay Memorial in Varanasi.
- The ‘pancha loha’ statue is the tallest statue of the BJP ideologue in the country.
- Over 200 artisans have worked for almost a year in order to complete the structure.
- The Memorial Centre, spread over nine acres, will also have the engravings of the life and times of Deendayal Upadhyaya.
- About 30 Odisha craftsmen and artists have worked on the project during the last year.
- The memorial centre is a Greenfield infrastructure project in the city of Varanasi.
- Prime minister also flagged off the third corporate train Mahakaal Express which links 3 Jyotirling Pilgrim Centres – Varanasi, Ujjain and Omkareshwar. He inaugurated 36 developmental projects including a 430 Bed Super-Speciality Government Hospital and laid foundation stone for 14 developmental projects.
- Panchaloha is an alloy of Copper, Zincm Gold, Iron and Silver. Some times lead or tin is used instead of Zinc.
Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay:
- Born in Mathura, UP in 1916, Deendayal Upadhyay is an Indian politician.
- He was one of the most important leaders of the Bharatiya Jana Sangh, the forerunner of the present day Bharatiya Janata Party.
- He qualified the civil services examination, where he got his nickname as Panditji for appearing in the examination hall wearing traditional dhoti-kurta and cap.
- He however did not join the service, but became in 1942, a life-time volunteer of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).
- However, Upadhyaya is seen to have played a larger role in India’s thought process and political life, transcending party lines.
Links to note: