Global cooling prize and Chief Guest
GLOBAL COOLING PRIZE
What’s in news?
Union Minister for Science & Technology will announce the finalists of the ‘Global Cooling Prize’ (GCP) at an Award Ceremony on November 15, 2019.
- Organized by: The Ceremony was organized by the Department of Science and Technology (DST).
- Department of Science & Technology (DST) in partnership with BEE & MoEF&CC has launched GCP jointly with Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI).
- Aim: To spur development of a residential cooling solution that has at least five times (5x) less climate impact than today’s standard products.
- The ceremony was come under the Mission Innovation (MI) programme.
- GCP was launched in November, 2018. This competition runs for two years and will disburse at least US$3 million in interim and final awards to best innovative residential cooling technologies which demonstrate performance.
- The seven finalists will be awarded US $200,000 to develop two prototypes for real field testing in India.
- Applications: Totally, 139 applications from 31 countries around the globe from innovators, start-ups, research institutes, universities, and key AC industry manufacturers.
- 45 applications were received from India – Largest in numbers among 31 countries. Followed by USA with 38 applications
Mission Innovation Programme:
- Established Year: 2015
- It is a global initiative of 24 countries and the European Union to dramatically accelerate global clean energy innovation.
- Aim: To accelerate public and private clean energy innovation to address climate change, make clean energy affordable to consumers, and create green jobs and commercial opportunities.
INDIA’S REPUBLIC DAY CHIEF GUEST
What’s in news?
PM invited the Brazil President to be the chief guest at Republic Day celebrations in 2020.
- Prime Minister Modi met Bolsonaro on the sidelines of the 11th Brics Summit here to focus on building mechanisms for counter-terrorism cooperation and strengthen India’s ties with the world’s five major economies.
- Prime Minister Modi invited Bolsonaro to the Republic Day, 2020. Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro accepted this invitation.
- Chief Guest for the Republic Day, 2019 – Cyril Ramaphosa, South Africa’s President.
11th BRICS summit 2019:
- Host Country: Brasilia, Brazil.
- Theme 2019 – Economic Growth for an Innovative Future.
- BRICS – Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa
- South Africa joined the group in 2010.
- This year 2019 is the 11th edition of the annual summit.
- Focus: Strengthening cooperation in the fields of science, technology, innovation and the digital economy.
- Aim: To advance cooperation in the fight against transnational crime, especially organized crime, money laundering and drug trafficking.
Links to note: