SKOCH CM OF THE YEAR 2018 – MAMATA BANNERJEE
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has been conferred the Skoch Chief Minister of the Year Award for her contribution in the overall development of the state and emerging as the best chief minister in the country.
Banerjee has been conferred with the prestigious award on the basis of the state’s performance in the field of governance, culture, finance, urban and rural development.
- The state has this year bagged 31 Skoch Awards for its performance across different fields besides implementing unique projects.
- The state’s Kanyashree scheme for the girl child has earned Banerjee much acclaim and the highest public service honour from the United Nations.
- Kanyashree scheme seeks to improve the status and well being of girls, specifically those from socio-economically disadvantaged families through conditional cash transfers.
- As per Skoch, West Bengal has also won the top position in terms of the number of man-days created and the amount spent in paying people for their work in the 100 days’ work scheme.
- In the field of agriculture, West Bengal has won five consecutive Krishi Karman awards and bagged the IPPAI Award for rural electrification in the state.
Besides Banerjee the Skoch Group, a think tank dealing with socio-economic issues with a focus on inclusive growth since 1997, has also awarded Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu and Commerce and Industry and civil aviation minister Suresh Prabhu.
While Naidu was awarded with the ‘SKOCH Sprinter of the Year’ and Suresh Prabhu as the ‘Steady Reformer’.
ABOUT SKOCH AWARDS
The Skoch Awards celebrate human excellence and agents of change in Indian society. The Awards are based on the philosophy of spearheading positive socio-economic changes through recognising persons who have contributed immensely to salutary transformations in society and governance by displaying exemplary leadership abilities. They are the highest independently instituted civilian honours in India.
The following are the various awards conferred by this group
- Challenger award
- Achiever award
- Rangarajan award
- Financial inclusion and Deepening award
- Smart Governance award
- Renaissance award
To know more about Kanyashree prakalpa scheme