8th ASIAN YOGA SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIP
14 countries to take part in the event to be held from tomorrow
Trivananthapuram is all set to play host to the 8th Asian Yoga Sports Championship, which will be held at the Jimmy George indoor stadium from September 27 to 30.
The event will witness around 500 participants representing 14 Asian countries showcasing their yoga skills.
Noted Saudi yoga instructor Nouf Marwaai, who was recently awarded the Padma Shri, is also expected to participate.
Yogaratna Awards will be given away to foreign delegates who were instrumental in popularising yoga in their respective countries.
- Governor P. Sathasivam will present the awards to the winners of the championship and inaugurate the valedictory function on September 30 at 4 p.m.
Asian Yoga Federation president Ashok Kumar Aggarwal, also the president of the Yoga Federation of India, said the pan-Asian yoga event was being held in the country for the second time.
The second edition of the championship was held in Hyderabad.
“When India was chosen to host the championship this year, Kerala and Goa were considered as venues. Ultimately, Kerala turned out to be the unanimous choice, owing to its cultural heritage and the importance shown in popularising yoga,” he said.
Participants from various countries including China, Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea, United Arab Emirates, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong, Iran, Nepal, Vietnam, Afghanisthan and Bangladesh would vie for the top prizes in various categories.
The Indian contingent included 111 yoga exponents, including five Keralites.
Regarding the participation of Pakistan in the event, Mr. Aggarwal said the Pakistan Yoga Federation had been extended an invitation and that it was up to them to take a decision on their participation.
Competitions would be held under various age groups in six categories including Asian yogasana sports competition, Asian artistic yoga sports competition, Asian artistic pair yoga sports competition, Asian rhythmic yoga sports competition, Asian free flow dance competition, and Asian professional yogasana sports competition.
YOGA FEDERATION OF INDIA:
YOGA owes its origin to India, the land of great Rishis and Munis. Due to its manifold benefits for over all growth of an individual, in terms of body, mind and soul, it has been gaining world wide recognition. Therefore, for the preservation and expansion of Yoga, the great ancient culture, art and indigenous sports of glorious India, an organization was required to be constituted at National level. In view to the realization of that aim, the Yoga Federation of India came into existence.
Aims and Objectives
- To promote, encourage, popularize, standardize and supervise Yoga in the Country.
- To encourage the formation of State Yoga Associations in the country.
- To arrange and supervise the Yoga Championships, Camps, Seminars and other Contests.
- To arrange, regulate and if necessary finance visits of the National Yoga Team in Asian Yoga Sports Championship and World Yoga Championship. .
- To arrange, regulate and if necessary finance visits of the National Yoga team.
- To perform all such others acts as may seem to the Federation to be relevant and conducive to the attainment of the aims/objectives of the Federation.
Constituted: The Yoga Federation of India was constituted in the year 1974.