NATIONAL GIRL CHILD DAY
What’s in news?
National Girl Child is being celebrated on January 24th of every year.
- Since: The day is being celebrated annually since 2008.
- Organized by: The events which is organized in this day by the Ministry of Women and Child Development and the Government of India.
- Objective: The day is being celebrated to spread the awareness regard the following;
- about the inequalities faced by the girl child in our country
- about the rights available for the girl child in our country
- about the importance of girl education
- about the importance of health and nutrition of the girl child
- Celebration: The day is celebrated by organizing various programs including awareness campaigns on Save the girl child, child sex ratios, and creating a healthy and safe environment for a girl child.
- Madhya Pradesh: Madhya Pradesh will celebrate the National Girl Child Day under the scheme Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao.
- Theme: Following were the theme of this day;
- Theme 2020: “Aware girl child-able Madhya Pradesh”.
- Theme 2019: “Empowering Girls for a Brighter Tomorrow”.
- Initiatives by the Government: Following are the initiatives taken by the Government to promote the objectives of this day;
- The determination of sex in clinics during pregnancy has been blocked by the government.
- Child marriages of the girls are restricted now.
- To save a girl child a scheme namely “Save the Girl Child” has been introduced by the government.
- Free and compulsory education for both boys and girls till 14 years of age has improved the education of girl child.
- To fight with malnutrition, high illiteracy, poverty and infant mortality in the society, antenatal care has been made necessary for all pregnant women.
- Many Laws are made by the Government like Anti-Sati, Anti-MTP to make women get employment and status to the Women.
- On this day, the state government will also examine the health of girls and will generate awareness about the rights of girls and daughters.
- National Girl Child Week: The week is celebrated from January 24 to January 30 of 2020.
- Events planned in this week: Many important programmes were planned to celebrated in this week;
- “Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao” signature campaign
- Plantation and name plate drive in the names of daughters
- Awareness campaign on women’s rights
- Mass oaths for girl child protection
Data to know:
- International Girl Child Day: The day is being celebrated annually on October 11, since 2012 which was approved by UN.
- Renuka Chowdhury: The Minister for Women and Child Development, Renuka Chowdhury released a calendar, at the launching of new initiatives for the welfare of Girl Child and logo for National Girl Child Day, in New Delhi on January 19, 2009.
Links to note: