GLOBAL INNOVATION INDEX, 2019
What’s in news?
India improved its ranking in Global Innovation Index, 2019 by five notches to 52nd position in a survey of innovative capacity among 129 countries by the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO).
- India has jumped five places to rank 52 in the Global Innovation Index 2019, up from the 57 it had in last year’s rankings.
- India’s rise in the rankings has been a consistent trend over the last few years. It had ranked 81 in 2015, which rose to 66 in 2016, 60 in 2017 and 57 in 2018.
- The report was released by the Commerce and industry minister Piyush Goyal and said the government will work hard to take the country to 25th ranking in next four years to meet the target set by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The Global Innovation Index, 2019 was released by UN World Intellectual Property Organisation, INSEAD and CII.
- India continues to be the most innovative economy in central and southern Asia — a distinction held since 2011 — improving its global rank to 52 in 2019.
- The report also highlighted that India stands out in the world’s top science and technology clusters, with Bengaluru, Mumbai, and New Delhi featuring among the top 100 global clusters.
- India, whose 29-place move up the GII (From 81 in 2015) represents the biggest jump by any major economy, also remains 2nd among middle-income economies in terms of the quality of innovation.
- The latest GII ranking also shows that the country has constantly been maintaining its leadership position as the most innovative country in Central and South Asia region every year since 2011.
- In comparison, India’s rank in World Bank’s Doing Business survey has improved 65 spots to 77th position in 2018.
World Intellectual Property Organization:
- The World Intellectual Property Organization is one of the 15 specialized agencies of the United Nations (UN).
- WIPO was established in 1967.
- Aim: “To encourage creative activity, to promote the protection of intellectual property throughout the world”.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
- Member states: 192 countries.
- India is a member of WIPO and party to several treaties administered by WIPO.
- WIPO has its origins in the United International Bureaux for the Protection of Intellectual Property which was established in 1893.