GI Tag for 5 coffee varieties
GI CERTIFICATION & APP FOR COFFEE PRODUCERS
What’s in news?
- Five varieties of Indian coffee were recently awarded with Geographical Indication (GI) Tag by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- An online market place app called “Coffee blockchain” for coffee has been launched.
GI tag for the coffee varieties:
- The five varieties of coffee awarded with GI tag are:
- Coorg Arabica coffee– Kodagu district in Karnataka.
- Wayanad Robusta coffee – Wayanad district.
- Chikmagalur Arabica coffee– Chikmagalur district, Deccan plateau of Karnataka.
- Araku Valley Arabica coffee– Visakhapatnam district of Andhra Pradesh and Odisha region.
- Bababudangiris Arabica coffeecentral portion of Chikmagalur district.
- Mansooned Malabar Robusta Coffee, a unique coffee from India, was given this GI Tag earlier
- This is an app, developed jointly by the Coffee Board of India and Eka Software Solutions.
- This is a pilot project has about 20 participants, including 14 coffee growers, and will run for four-to-six months. Anyone willing to participate in the marketplace will have to register on the app and will get a smart contract number.
- The purpose of this app to, create a market place for coffee growers.
- The following are the benefits of the app;
- Reduce the dependency of intermediaries
- Increase transparency, trust & efficiency
- Gives better price to the producers
- This is a tag primarily for an agricultural, natural or a manufactured products (handicrafts and industrial goods) which originating from a definite geographical territory.
- Such a name conveys an assurance of quality and distinctiveness, which is essentially attributable to the place of its origin.
- Once the GI protection is granted, no other producer can misuse the name to sell any other similar products. It also provides comfort to customers about the authenticity of that product.
- At International level, GI is governed by WTO’s Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS). In India, Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection Act), 1999governs it.
Benefits of GI tag:
GI Tag provides the following benefits to the products and also the producers;
- Legal protection to the products.
- Prevents unauthorised use of GI tag products by others.
- Helps consumers to get quality products of desired traits and is assured of the authenticity.
- Promotes economic prosperity of producers of GI tag goods by enhancing their demand in national and international markets.
: Function create_function() is deprecated in /var/www/wp-content/themes/univero/template-parts/author-bio.php
on line 3