FOUNDATION DAY OF LAND PORTS AUTHORITY OF INDIA
What’s in news?
8th Foundation Day of the Land Ports Authority of India (LPAI) has been celebrated in New Delhi.
- LPAI is involved in building border infrastructure for facilitation of cross border trade and travel on India’s land borders.
- LPAI for built the Passenger Terminal Building at Dera Baba Nanak, Kartarpur Sahib Corridor.
Land Ports Authority of India:
- The Land Ports Authority of India is a statutory body established under Land Ports Authority of India Act, 2010.
- Committee of Secretaries in 2003 recommended setting up of Integrated Check Posts (ICPs) at major entry points on India’s land borders.
- These ICPs were planned to house all the regulatory agencies like Immigration, Customs, Border Security etc. together with support facilities in a single complex to serve as a single-window facility as is prevalent at Airports and Seaports.
- LPAI intends to provide safe, secure and systematic facilities for movement of cargo as well passengers at its ICPs along the international borders of India.
- It plans, constructs and maintains roads, terminals and ancillary buildings other than national highways, State highways and railways, at an ICP.
- It establishes and maintains warehouses, container depots and cargo complexes for the storage or processing of goods with the establishment of hotels, restaurants and restrooms at ICP.
Links to note: