FOOD SAFETY MITRA SCHEME
What’s in news?
Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare launched Food Safety Mitra Scheme, Eat Right Jacket and Eat Right Jhola.
- On the occasion of World Food Day (October 16), Dr.Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare launched Food Safety Mitra Scheme.
- Along with this a bag named “Eat Right Jhola”, Eat Right Smart Jacket was also introduced.
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has introduced scheme of Food Safety Mitra (FSM).
- Aim: To engage motivated individuals with the food safety ecosystem at ground level.
- An FSM is an individual professional certified by FSSAI who assists in compliances related to FSS Act, Rules & Regulations with three avatars namely;
- Digital Mitra
- Trainer Mitra
- Hygiene Mitra
- The new scheme may open up the opportunities in the areas of online licensing and registration of food businesses, food safety training and hygiene auditing, mainly focused on small and medium scale food businesses.
Eat Right Jhola:
It is a reusable, washable and bio-degradable bag was launched in the same event.
Eat Right Smart Jacket:
- The jacket gives an identity to FSSAI staff to ensure transparency during inspection.
- The jacket is embedded with an RFID tag and QR code and linked to software to capture entry of inspection staff into premise for monitoring.
Eat Right India movement:
- It was launched by theFood Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- The movement aimsto cut down salt/sugar and oil consumption by 30% in three years.
- It also aimsto engage and enable citizens to improve their health and well-being by making the right food choices.
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India:
- An autonomous statutory body established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (FSS Act).
- Comes under the administration of Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, GoI.
- FSSAI is responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety.
Additional data to know:
- The first ever World Food Safety Day was observed on 7 June, 2019.
- Theme’19 – Food Safety, everyone’s business.
Links to note: