Flash floods and Goalkeepers goal award
GLOBAL GOALKEEPERS GOALS AWARD
What’s in news?
PM Modi, thanked Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for conferring upon him Global Goalkeepers Goals Award 2019.
- He was honoured with this award for his Swachh Bharat mission. In the last five years India has taken many efforts to improve cleanliness and sanitation, fulfilling Gandhi Ji’s dream of Clean India.
- The annual awards, in five categories, are presented to leaders and individuals for their efforts in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- The five categories are:
- Progress Award (age 16 – 30),
- Changemaker Award (age 16 – 30),
- Campaign Award (age 16 – 30),
- Goalkeepers Voice Award (any age) and
- Global Goalkeeper Award (any age): This special recognition celebrates a political leader who has demonstrated their commitment to the Global Goals through impactful work in their country and/or globally.
What’s in news?
In the Central United States, there may be a possibility of Flash flooding and severe storms due to the strong cold front sweeps across much of the region.
- A flash flood is a rapid flooding of low-lying areas: washes, rivers, dry lakes and basins.
- Cause: Caused by heavy rain associated with a severe thunderstorm, hurricane, tropical storm, or melt water from ice or snow flowing over ice sheets or snowfields. In simple terms, flash floods occur when it rains rapidly on saturated soil or dry soil that has poor absorption ability.
- Flash floods may occur after the collapse of a natural ice or debris dam, or a human structure such as a man-made dam.
- Flash floods are distinguished from regular floods by having a timescale of fewer than six hours between rainfall and the onset of flooding.
- Flash floods can occur under several types of conditions.
- Flash flooding occurs when it rains rapidly on saturated soil or dry soil that has poor absorption ability.
- The runoff collects in gullies and streams and, as they join to form larger volumes, often forms a fast-flowing front of water and debris.
- They most often occur in normally dry areas that have recently received precipitation, but they may be seen anywhere downstream from the source of the precipitation, even many miles from the source.
India and extreme weather condition:
- India has witnessed extreme weather conditions from heat waves to flash floods, this year.
- The ministry of earth sciences, India, has also confirmed that the year 2018 was the sixth warmest year on record since nation-wide records commenced in 1901. However, it was lower than the warmest year of 2016 (+0.720C).
Difference between floods and Flash floods:
- Flood:An overflow of water onto normally dry land. The inundation of a normally dry area caused by rising water in an existing waterway, such as a river, stream, or drainage ditch.
- Flash flood:A flood caused by heavy or excessive rainfall in a short period of time, generally less than 6 hours. Flash floods are usually characterized by raging torrents after heavy rains that rip through river beds, urban streets, or mountain canyons sweeping everything before them.
Links to note: