FIT INDIA MOVEMENT
What’s in news?
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a nation-wide Fit India Movement on National Sports Day.
- The inaugural event was held at Indira Gandhi Stadium Complex in New Delhi.
- Fit India Movement is a nation-wide campaign that aims at encouraging people to include physical activity and sports in their everyday lives.
- The University Grants Commission has directed the universities across the country to prepare for the Fit India Movement.
Committee formed to advise government on campaign:
- A committee comprising government officials, members of Indian Olympic Association (IOA), national sports federations, private bodies and fitness promoters has been formed to advise the government on the campaign.
- The 28-member committee, which will be under the chairmanship of sports minister Kiren Rijiju, has 12 members from the government, including secretaries of Sports, Secondary Education, Ayush, Youth Affairs, among others.
- IOA President and seven NSF heads, including those of boxing, athletics, football and cycling, are also a part of the committee.
- Today, many lifestyle diseases like diabetes, hypertension are increasing in India.
- Lifestyle diseases are happening due to lifestyle disorders. Lifestyle disorders can be cured by making lifestyle changes.
National sports day:
- National Sports Day 2019 marks the 114th birth anniversary of hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand
- Dhyan Chand is considered the greatest hockey player of all times.
- He died of liver cancer on 3rd December 1979 aged 74.
- His birth anniversary is celebrated as National Sports Day in India on 29th august since 1995.
- On this day, the President gives several awards related to sports like the Arjuna Award, Dronacharya Award and the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
- In 2002, the National Stadium in New Delhi was renamed Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium.
- Chand’s autobiography titled ‘Goal’ was published in 1952.
Awards this year:
- Wrestler Bajrang Punia and para-athlete Deepa Malik will be conferred with Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
- Indian all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja, footballer Gurpreet Singh Sandhu, hockey player Chinglensana Kangujam, sprinter Mohammed Anas, heptathlete Swapna Barman and shooter Anjum Moudgil are among some prominent names to be given Arjuna award.
- IPS Officer Aparna Kumar will be honoured with the Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award 2018 in the ‘Land adventure’ category.
Last year, then sports minister Rajyavardhan Rathore had also floated a fitness campaign called #HumFitTohIndiaFit
Links to note: