10TH ANNUAL MEETING OF FEMBOSA
What’s in news?
ECI To Host 10th Annual Meeting of The Forum of the Election Management Bodies of South Asia (FEMBoSA) & an International Conference on ‘Strengthening Institutional Capacity’.
- An International Conference on the theme ‘Strengthening Institutional Capacity’ will also being organised.
- At the FEMBoSA meeting, the delegates would, inter alia, take stock of the activities undertaken by the members during the last year 2019 and discuss/finalise a Work Plan for its members for the year 2020.
- ECI’s quarterly magazine “Voice International” will be released, which will carry articles on the theme of “Innovative Methods of Voter Registration”.
- ECI will also renew Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for cooperation in the field of election management with the Independent Election Commission of Afghanistan.
- The previous MoU was signed in April 2008 and expired in April 2013.
- Besides that, an MoU for cooperation in the field of election management will be signed with the Independent High Authority for Elections (ISIE) of Tunisia as well.
- Election Commission of India has, so far, signed MOUs with twenty-seven Election Management Bodies and International Organizations viz. Afghanistan, Australia, Bhutan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Chile, Fiji, Georgia, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Republic of Korea, Kyrgyz Republic, Libya, Maldives, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Myanmar, Nepal, Russia, South Africa, Suriname, Yemen, Zambia and United Nations, Intl. IDEA & IFES.
Forum of Election Management Bodies of South Asia (FEMBoSA):
- Forum of Election Management Bodies of South Asia (FEMBoSA) is a regional establishment to increase mutual cooperation in respect to the common interests of the SAARC’s EMBs.
- In 2010 for the first time Bangladesh Election Commission organized a regional meeting titled ‘Meeting on Cooperation of Election Commissions in the South Asia Region’, which was later called Forum of Election Management Bodies of South Asia (FEMBoSA) as an institutionalized form.
- After the meeting in 2012, the forum chartered was approved. In 2013, the logo of the designated forum prepared by Bangladesh Election Commission was accepted and the Rules of Procedure for Meetings of the FEMBoSA were approved.
- The annual FEMBoSA meeting is held by rotation among the members.
- Since the creation of FEMBoSA, Annual Meetings were held in Pakistan (2011), in India (2012), in Bhutan (2013), in Nepal (2014), in Sri Lanka (2015), in Maldives (2016), in Afganistan (2017), 9th annual meeting of FEMBoSA is hosted by Election Commission of Bangladesh in Dhaka September 2018.
- The Agenda of the annual meetings are aimed to hold discussions on important current topics relevant to election management and electoral process, giving special attention to the region and decisions being taken on the incoming chairperson of FEMBoSA and the hosting country of the next meeting.
- To promote contact among the EMBs of the SAARC countries; share experiences with a view to learning from each other and cooperate with one another in enhancing the capabilities of the EMBs towards conducting free and fair elections.
- The member states are Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. SAARC was founded by seven states in 1985.
International Conference on ‘Strengthening Institutional Capacity:
- The conference would include, besides delegates from participating FEMBoSA members, participants from Election Managements Bodies (EMBs) of Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgystan Mauritius, Tunisia, and three International Organisations viz. the Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB) based in Seoul, Republic of Korea; the US based International Foundation of Electoral Systems (IFES) and International IDEA.
- There will be three sessions during the Conference where representatives from the EMBs and International Organisations will participate and share their experiences, best practices and initiatives taken towards ‘Strengthening Institutional Capacity’ of EMBs in various countries.
Links to note: