ECI CELL TO MONITOR FAKE NEWS, POLL CODE VIOLATIONS ON SOCIAL MEDIA
What’s in news?
Election Commission of India (ECI) set up a dedicated cell to monitor Maharashtra Assembly election contesting candidate’s activities on social media platforms ahead of the polls.
- Social media monitoring cell was set up, in light of the observation that social media has become a popular platform for election-related activities.
- Any and all content uploaded on social media that could amount to violation of any kind will be watched and will be reported to relevant authorities.
- This includes scanning all mediums like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- The cell will mainly be keeping an eye out for three kinds of violations.
- The first kind is any content being shared that might amount to defamation, rumour-mongering or fake news, and such instances will be forwarded to the concerned police units for further action.
- The second is violation of the model code of conduct, which will be reported to the ECI.
- The third category is of posts that might give rise to law and order problems, in which case they will be removed from the internet.
- The cell will also scan social media for posts by citizens drawing attention to wilful violations of the model code of conduct by candidates or their supporters, including enticement for votes and use of force or intimidation.
Election Commission of India:
- Election Commission of India (ECI) is a constitutional body under Article-324 vested with the responsibilities of superintendence, direction and control of conduct of elections.
- It consists of a Chief Election Commissioner and two Election Commissioners.
- Article 324 states that the Election Commission shall consist of Chief Election Commissioner and such numbers of other Election Commissioners, if any, as the President may from time to time fix and appointment of CEC and other ECs shall, subject to provisions of any law made in that behalf by the Parliament, be made by the President.
- The Election Commission of India (EC) is a formidable institution which has led the world in electoral efficiency since its inception.
Links to note: